Chapter four

One night, about a month later there was a knock at the door. I was getting ready to go to bed and wasn't even sure if I heard a knock or not, but I opened the door anyway. It was Kitty, looking as pale as I have ever seen a person look. Her hair was soaking wet; her clothes were wet as well. No, more than wet, they were dripping. Trembling, she was shaking and looked damn near frozen. It was not that cold out, but it had been raining most of the day. I didn't know what to do, but I opened my evening sweater and walked to her and enveloped her in my arms.

My sweater was old. It was one I had gotten from Goodwill, after the fire. It was ratty, as my sister called it, but I liked it. It had those professor leather patches on the sleeves, but most of all, it was warm. I had my arms around her, and she was hugging me so tightly, but she felt God-awful thin. I could feel all the bones in her back as I was hugging her. Finally, she looked up into my eyes and said, "I don't have anywhere to go."

My heart melted, and I had tears in my eyes as I said, "Come in and get warm."

I felt stupid. There probably was a much cooler line I could have said, but nothing else came to me.

She came in, and Sis looked at her and motioned for Kitty go with her.

Kitty came out of Sis's room fifteen minutes later wearing some of Sis's night clothes. Her hair was still damp, but I could tell it was toweled dry. She looked better but fragile in the nightshirt. Her face was washed free of the smeared makeup but looked as flawless as I remembered. I think she had cut her hair a little since I last saw her. I made tea, and she was thankful. I had so much to ask her, but she looked exhausted. I asked if she wanted anything to eat. She just shook her head no and sipped the tea. We spoke a little of the weather. I asked her if she was tired and wanted to get some sleep. She nodded and thanked us both for letting her stay. I looked at Sis, and she gave me a look that said you-did-the-right-thing. I smiled and said I was tired and going to bed. I brought Kitty some blankets and a pillow and said good night. Kitty half smiled at me, and it looked like she wanted to say something but just repeated thanks and good night. As I was walking to my room, with my head down, I wondered if Kitty would be here in the morning. I felt silly for still thinking of her as Kitty. She must have a name and I needed to find out what her name was in the morning. If she was still here.

She was.