Chapter Fifty-four

I arrived at Senior's office just past ten. I was late on purpose because it drives him nuts and I didn't want him to think he owned me, like his son. In the lobby was the sign for Taylorite Developers. I didn't know how I was going to deal with that issue.

"Come in, come in, son. Oh, I'm sorry; I mean my boy."

I smiled. Had I won some respect?

"Hello, sir."

"Well, tell me. How was Paris?"

I wasn't smiling now, "I am sure you know more than I do."

"Yes. I probably do. You and your painting got rave reviews. They all want to know when you will do their painting. Seven in total, with more offers on the way."

I was silent. "Well, what do you think?" Senior asked.

"Think about what?" was all I could think of to say.

"About painting for these people. It is what you wanted, right?"

"No, sir. It is what you wanted. I was willing to go along and see the sights and decide what was best for me. I haven't heard an offer or what's in it for me. I assume there is an offer coming."

I didn't feel I needed to be nice. I didn't care what happened except that I wanted three things, but I didn't know how to get them yet.

He was laughing, "You are just like me, even if you are not my son. Okay. I want you to be full time at the gallery: painting, mostly, and talking about paintings, yours and the ones we sell. As you saw, we don't sell cheap crap. Good works of art, at what one might consider elevated prices, but no one is forcing anyone to buy them."

"If I did this, what is in it for me?" I asked bluntly.

"A salary of one hundred thousand a year, plus the usual fifty percent commission of any of your paintings sold in or through the gallery. How does that sound?"

"One hundred and thirty thousand a year, full benefits of course, and sixty percent commission on any painting that is commissioned by the gallery. Twenty-five percent up front and the remainder paid on the completed sale. Are you writing this down?"

I figured I was overreaching, but then again, I didn't expect him to play fair.

"Deal. Is there anything else? You look like you have something on your mind."

"Yes, I do..."

We talked another hour before we reached a deal, but I was happy when I left. I was scarcely out of the building when my phone rang.

"What the hell did you do?" Harry asked.

I was smiling because I knew what had happened.

"Why, whatever do you mean?" I asked in my most girly voice. I couldn't stop it; I started laughing. "I take it you've heard from the president of Taylorite Developers."

"Yes. What the hell. All the permits are going to be not only released but expedited. He also wants me to come in and talk about putting in a bid on the project behind the pet shop. Do you have any idea what that would mean for my company? Our company? You own quite a bit of it now. He did tell me that even though he and I have a meeting to discuss the project, it doesn't mean that I will get the work. But this is an opportunity I never thought I would have. Do you know what happened?"

"I am happy for you. Let me know when you are going to come up, and we can go to lunch or dinner. I will even bring Sarah. I know you like her better than you like me."

"No offense, amigo, but she is a sight better looking than you. I will call you though. Later."

"See ya," I said and hung up. I was pleased. I knew Mr. Taylor Sr. could do it. He just needed the right push. But, first and foremost it needed to be his idea.

Things were all looking up for me.

Next, I stopped to see Mr. Jensen. I told him what was happening and assured him I would work if he needed me, but I did need to leave for Paris in two weeks to begin work on the portrait of the sheik's wife. Mr. Jensen said he was proud of me. That meant the world to me. I no longer had a father, and I looked up to Mr. Jensen. He always treated me well.

Sassy didn't take the news that I was going to leave nearly as well. She's an emotional one and doesn't do goodbyes well. I told her I wasn't going anywhere, and she could see me anytime, but it didn't seem to make her feel better. I did, however, promise her a limo ride before I flew out again. And the silk scarf I brought back from Paris for her made her feel just a little better.

The two weeks before I was to fly back to Paris for the formal sitting with the sheik's wife went by quickly. Every day, I ran with Sarah, worked at Mr. Jensen's shop, helped Sis pack, and helped close the pet shop with Sarah. I was starting to love the pet shop.

Sis needed to be on the West Coast by early next week. She was sad about leaving, but I was with Sarah all the time, so Sis knew I would be all right.

Sarah and I spent every minute together. She didn't like that I was going to Paris again, and this time for two weeks. I had been reading all I could about what to look for and how to start a portrait in that environment. I was nervous, like going to a new school for the first time. You know what to expect, but you also don't know, both at the same time. Sarah kept telling me I would do great. She would smile and say, "I believe in you." It helped a little.