Chapter Twenty-three

I was up before dawn, but still, Doc beat me. He was making a breakfast of eggs and bacon. He had hot water on for my tea, and I smiled that he remembered. He had made coffee for himself.

"The motorcycle is in the back of the barn. Make sure the gas is topped off. Near the workbench is a red two-gallon plastic gas tank. Fill it, and there should be some bungee cords or rope around to tie it on the back. I don't know if you will need it, but better to have extra gas just in case. It's a lonely country up there. Breakfast will be ready in ten."

"Thanks, I'll be right in." I headed out to the barn. I got the motorcycle out and ready. The extra tank tied on the back of the bike nicely. I was back in just as Doc was setting breakfast on the table. I was itching to get going but realized that I should eat and not hurt Doc's feelings.

"Smells great," I said, as I was sitting down, at the table. The table had been cleared off, compared to last night. There was a lot less clutter.

"Over by the door is a backpack with some food and supplies. It also has a good first aid kit and a solid flashlight."

I looked up as I was eating, "I hadn't thought of all that. Thanks."

"Now listen," he said. "There is a major storm heading our way. Temps are going to be dropping, and up that high, I suspect you will get snow if it's not already there. Take my big coat hanging on the hook and the blanket roll too. But most importantly, you must be off the mountain by tomorrow night. If you get caught up there, you might never get out."

I nodded and finished gulping our breakfast. I said, "If Brian is even there and anything I said is remotely true, I will make sure we are out by noon tomorrow. Will, that work for you?"

Doc smiled and said, "Good luck, son. I brought you into this world, and I would hate to see you go so soon. Be safe, and most of all, be smart. I know your heart is in the right place and I hope it all works out. Remember, once you reach the aspen tree line, your cell won't work any longer."

"I'll remember. And thanks again, Doc." The sky was dark gray, and the wind was starting as I went out to the bike. It was already colder. I stopped for a second and wondered if I was crazy. Doc was still in the doorway when I looked up.

He smiled and said, "You're doing the right thing. If you find him, that's great, and if you don't, you will know you tried. If you don't go, you will always wonder if you could have saved him. Good luck, my boy. I will pray for you."