Chapter Twenty-six

The ride down the mountain was hard on Brian. I tried to be as careful as possible, and even though the trail and logging road weren't completely covered over, there were times when Brian was barely able to hang on through the rough ride.

We stopped at the Aspen line to catch our breath. I helped Brian to a suitable resting spot out of the chilling wind. It was getting colder, and unless I was mistaken, snow was in the air. It wasn't falling yet, but it was coming soon.

My cell didn't work farther up the mountain, but I was getting a weak signal now. Who to call? I finally decided on Doc. During the ride down, I thought about the next steps. I figured Doc's place was closer, but Brian needed immediate medical help, even though getting to the hospital meant a longer ride. When Doc answered, and I told him I had Brian and described his wounds, Doc agreed with my decision to head to the hospital, and he would call everyone and let them know we were coming. We talked briefly about the possibility of an ambulance taking over but agreed that I could go faster overland than I could by going back to the main road and hooking up with an ambulance. Doc also said he would contact Lisa immediately to let her know that Brian was ok, injured but alive.

I didn't share that with Brian; I just hoped and prayed he could hang on that long. I could handle the bike fine but if Brian blacked out, having to hang on to him to keep him from falling off would be next to impossible. I thought about tying him to me or the bike, but I decided against it, for safety reasons.

About two hours later, we did finally arrive at the hospital. Everyone was waiting for us, and they took Brian in right away while I sat alone in the waiting room. I was suddenly feeling exhausted, and all I wanted to do was leave, but I needed to wait for news of Brian's condition or for someone else to come and take my place. I realized then that I hated hospitals. That was a funny thought, and I laughed and shook my head. Yes indeed, I hate hospitals, and I have a warped sense of humor.

I wondered if Grace was here. I wanted to ask someone, but I didn't know her name. Why do I never ask anyone's name? I will have to work on that. Sis called, finally able to get through to my cell phone and relieved to learn that both Brian and I got through the night. I felt a little better after talking to her and learning that Lisa was on her way and would be here soon. Since there was nothing else to do but wait and I didn't have my book, I stretched my legs out, slumped in the chair, and closed my eyes. I didn't sleep but instead reviewed all the events of the past couple of days. I went over in my mind borrowing the car from Mr. Olsen, the trip down here, talking to Doc about Chris, the ride up the mountain and all I remembered going up there — recognizing all the good times in my past with my family that I had forgotten. Perhaps "stuffed away" would be a better term. Maybe in some ways, you could go back home, even if your house was no longer there. The memories were still alive, and perhaps, home was as well. I would have to ponder that. I began to feel at peace...more at peace than I had felt in a long time.