Chapter Twenty

"He still has it?" I was astounded. "Does it still run?" I was still grinning at the thought that Bobby still had that old truck even now. "He did like that truck," I said.

"Yes, he still has it. Yes, it still runs. And no, he loved that truck." Doc went on. "He was so lost when his mom left. Patrick died in the war, and we never got to say goodbye. Then losing Mary, and all we went through with her illness. When his mom left, I felt he thought he had nothing and had no control over anything. He might even have worried he caused it all. He stopped talking to me, so I didn't know what was wrong. I think you were his only friend. I started to believe that he might take his own life, and I didn't know what to do. And then that damn pickup truck arrived. He changed after that. His whole world was that truck. He would wash it, wax it, work on it if something broke or if he just wanted to make it run better or smoother. I think it became so much to him because it was his, not mine, not someone's hand-me-down. It was his. It was always there for him. He no longer felt tied to anything or anybody. In some ways, he got set free the day you gave him that truck. It saved his life. I believe that with my whole heart. And I never told you how much it meant to Bobby or me. So, thank you," Doc had tears in his eyes as he was telling all this to me.

I don't think I had ever heard Doc say that many words in a week, let alone in a few minutes. I looked down at the table and said, "I didn't know anyone knew I bought it. I knew he had it rough, but I didn't have a clue that old truck would mean so much to him." I laughed a little at the thought of Bobby and that truck. "How did you find out I bought it? Did Bobby tell you?"

"No," Doc said, "Your dad did. He was so proud of you. Did you know that?"

Now, I was crying. I hadn't thought of dad or mom since I was in town, but it was all hitting me now. The fire, the pain, the loss...I started to sob. I put my head on the table and cried. Doc just sat there and didn't say a word until I finally looked up and he handed me a napkin. I was not sure if it was new or used, but I used it anyway.

"Feel better?"

"Yes. Sorry about that," I said wiping my face.

Doc said, "We all need a good cry now and again, but some of us are too proud to cry. I am happy you can."

I just nodded.

Then Doc got a different look on his face. Like he just realized something. "I don't reckon you came out here just to see me?"