Chapter Forty-one

Sarah and I made plans to run every morning, although we did have to move the time back to six-thirty because we ran farther and farther each day. I often thought of dad during our runs, and I knew how much he would have liked Sarah. I had told Sarah about dad and all the work he had done with me to get me stronger and faster. Sarah stopped running and cried that day. Sarah said she was so close to her family that she didn't know what she would do if she lost them, as I had.

On Friday, I did go to the show with Marisol. I decided that I would pay for the ticket, but she wanted me to pay her in other ways. I did consider it. Marisol was a looker for sure, but it wouldn't be right. I felt Sarah would agree.

On Tuesday, as promised, Harry met with Sarah, me, and the Gunthers at the pet shop to go through the building. After his inspection, Harry said he would crunch the numbers and get back to me.

Sarah and I went back to the pet shop to close it for the night.

"I do love it here," she said.

"I can see that."

"I like Harry. What do you think he will say?" Sarah asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know, but I know it will be the right number. Harry is one of the most honest men I know. I trust him completely."

"But the owners can't afford it. Of that, I am sure," she said. "Maybe all this was for nothing."

"Maybe it will be, but at least we will all know. Then we can make some choices," I said.

"Like what kind of choices?"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. First things first, and that is waiting for Harry's numbers."

"Okay, okay. Want to help me with the puppies?" Sarah asked, but I was already getting up to help her.

"Yes, of course. Don't I always?" I had been coming to the store every day that week after work to see Sarah and the puppies, so the place was starting to feel like home.