Chapter Twenty-seven

I bolted upright in the waiting room chair. Shit. What day is this? Saturday, I realized. Shit. The gala event I was supposed to attend and where I would have met up with Kitty...it was last night. I was sad at the thought of not seeing Kitty, but I realized that I was okay with the idea of not attending such an affair as that anyway. Sis would have immensely enjoyed an event like that. She always liked getting dressed up and meeting people and such. I didn't at all. I smiled at the thought of Sis going to a big shindig like that. I would find out later that she did indeed go to the gala in my place and had a great time talking, dancing, and meeting famous people. I would have hated every bit of it except seeing Kitty. I missed her.

Finally, a nurse came and told me I could see Brian. When I entered his room, he looked like he was asleep. I quietly turned to leave, but then I heard, "Not even going to say hello?" I turned and saw a smile on his face, but I could tell he was in pain.

"I was looking for a handsome pilot that I knew once, but all I see is an old fart looking like shit," and I started laughing. He tried to but couldn't. It hurt too much.

I moved over to the bed and took his hand and said, "It's good to see you. What did the doctors say?"

"They said you did a fantastic job casting my arm and ankle. The doctors couldn't believe you have had no medical training."

"I just did what Doc wrote out. I didn't do anything special."

"Nothing special, my ass. You saved my life. I could not have spent another night out there. I'd be dead now if you hadn't figured it all out. I owe you my life."

"You don't owe me anything. I did what I had to do. Something was telling me what to do the whole time. All I had to do was listen."

Thinking it best to change the subject, I said, "I do have one question, if you feel up to it," Brian nodded. "How did you survive that first night? You had to be soaking wet. And so cold. Did you start a fire?"

He smiled. "No fire. I had nothing to start it with, and no dry tinder anyway I wouldn't have been able to manipulate my arm enough to gather wood or build up a fire. I crawled out of the water, tied the swan to that bush, and crawled into the woods. Just inside the edge of the woods was a huge tree trunk that had fallen. It was big enough for me to crawl into, I guess the small space kept me from freezing. I stayed there, shivering and making peace with the fact I was going to die right there, stuck in that tree trunk. I would sleep some, then wake and shiver some more. I knew I was in a bad way, with no way out. Then I would pass out, wake up and shake some more. I felt shivering was okay because it meant I wasn't dead, at least not yet. One time, I woke and thought I heard a motorcycle. I knew I had a fever from the breaks, and I thought I was hallucinating. Then I heard it again, but this time it was closer. I knew I had to show myself or chance never getting found at all. So, I crawled out. It took forever to get back to the lake, or at least it seemed like forever. Up until then, I had all but given up hope of being found, let alone rescued. Then I saw you. I was never so happy to see someone in my life. You have no idea."

"Sorry, but I think I was happier at hearing your voice. Up until that moment, I thought I was crazy for thinking I could be on the right track, but that damn swan didn't look right. That turned out to be a life-saving idea. Anyway, I'm happy you are doing all right. Are you going to heal okay?"

"Yes. I get fluids tonight, and either late tomorrow or Monday they are going to operate on my ankle. I guess it's pretty messed up but should heal all right. My wrist will be fine. They gave me a new cast because I got yours wet and they wanted to take x-rays, but it will be fine. Six to eight weeks for the wrist and who knows for the ankle."

Brian's eyes were closing, so I decided to let him sleep. "Hey, get some rest. I heard Lisa is on her way and you will want to be able to give her some of your strength."

"Yes, Lisa is on her way, and she wants to see you. Will you, please wait here until she comes?" he asked, never opening his eyes.

I didn't want to. I knew what Lisa was going to say, and I didn't want to hear it. I just wanted to leave. Big emotional scenes are not my thing, but I also knew that you had to be willing to listen to a "thank you," because people needed to say the words. It made them feel better. Maybe it had to do with control. They could control the gratitude they felt, even at a time when they could not manage the events that had happened.

"I will be here," was all I said.

I didn't have to wait long. I could hear Lisa at the nurse's deck, asking for Brian's room. Brian was sleeping, so I went out into the hallway to find her. Lisa saw me even before the nurse could answer. She ran to me and hugged me tightly, and with tears in both our eyes, she said, "Thank you. With all my heart, thank you."

"He's okay. He's in there sleeping." I nodded toward his room. "I suspect they have him sedated, for the pain. He needs an operation on his ankle, and his wrist is broken but will be fine in a couple of months. I talked to him a little bit ago, and he was looking forward to seeing you, but I think the sleep will do him good. I'm tired and am going to go now. Just be there when he wakes up."

She nodded and hugged me again, not letting go for the longest time. Hugging always makes me uncomfortable, but long hugs are the worst for me. I never know what to do. Finally, she let go, took my hands, looked me in the eyes, and said, "Thank you. I hope you know how much we love you." With that, she let go, turned, and went into Brian's room.

I stood there for a minute not knowing what to do when I heard a commotion at the end of the hall. It was the FAA guy. He saw me and nodded, like you would a person you know and passed on the sidewalk. I certainly didn't want to talk to him, so I turned and left.