Chapter Thirty-three

I didn't sleep much that night. I kept thinking about Mr. Taylor and ML. And what the hell kind of name is ML? I thought about it. The ML had to be her initials; that much was clear. A shortened version of a nickname? Mary Louise? Mary Lauren, Martha, Margaret? Mabel? No, only grandmothers would be called Mabel, I laughed at that. Mackenzie? I was getting frustrated thinking about all the possibilities. I thought about calling Sis, but she was on the West Coast and busy with her presentation. I didn't want to bother her.

I wasn't supposed to know, but if Sis did well at the presentation, she could be up for a big promotion. The only thing was, it would mean she would have to move to the West Coast. I had asked myself if I would go with her. I always knew we would split apart sometime. Brothers and sisters don't live together forever. Sooner or later something or someone would come along and separate us. Even I knew that. I didn't need Sis to tell me.

I didn't know if I would go or not go. Really, what was here for me? My job at the hobby store. Mr. Olsen next door, Doc. A few friends...Sassy, Brian, and Lisa...but not much else. What about Kitty? Could I leave her? Should I leave her? Who was she to me, anyway? I was like a schoolboy in love with the head cheerleader. It was never going to happen. I think in some way I knew that but I wasn't moving yet, so I had some time to figure it out, and maybe I wouldn't move at all.

Who was Mr. Taylor to ML? I thought about his face. There was something familiar with his face. Or maybe it was the movement of the features of his face. I decided I would have to see him again and study him further. I was very nervous the first time meeting him, but I wouldn't be next time. I began thinking of going to the gallery again. What excuse could I use? I guess I liked Mr. Taylor, even though he was kind of stuffy, but maybe in his world, you had to "put on the airs," as they say. I was pondering all that when I must have finally fallen asleep.