Chapter Sixty-two

Three months later, I was working in the pet shop late one afternoon when I heard the door open. It was Sassy.

"Hiya, Ashley. What brings you to this side of town?" I asked, and I gave her a big hug.

"I've missed you and just wanted to come and see if you are all good. How are you? How's this working out for you?"

She waved her hand around the store.

"I love it. The store is doing great. The upgrades that Harry did are fantastic, and all the people who hear about the store want to buy something or donate money."

"Donate money? For what?"

I smiled, "We opened 'Sarah's Playground' next door. Everyone in the neighborhood can come and use it. We have lighted courts for both basketball and tennis. We built chess tables for the old men, rocking horses, swings, and a jungle gym for the kids. It was Brad Taylor's idea. He witnessed how I stood up to his father, and I think he is now starting to stand up for himself. He comes in often. I like him. He is like a brother I never had."

"Speaking of that, how is Jenny doing?" Ashley asked.

"Great. Jenny loves her new job and the West Coast. I think she was going to change her mind about moving when Sarah died, but then I bought this shop, and she could see I was going to be okay."

"You look good. Some friends and I are going out tonight, so I'm wondering if you would want to come with us."

"Sassy, are you asking me out on a date? Are you trying to get some of this?" And I displayed my figure with my hands.

"No, Felicia. I was only feeling sorry for you." We both started laughing.

"Ashley, thank you. It means a lot to me that you would come to see if I am all right, but I'm not ready yet. It's only been three months, and I need more time, but I want you to know that I am really content. I belong here; doing this."

I gave her a big hug and said, "Come back to see me, okay? Unless you want to stay and help me change the puppy papers?"

"What? With these nails? Oh, puh-leeze! I don't think so," and she held up her hands. "But I will come back to check up on you."

"Please do. I miss seeing you."

As she turned to leave, I said, "I love you, Sassy."

She turned back and said, "I love you too, Felicia."

We both laughed and waved goodbye. I could still hear Ashley mumbling as she walked out the door. "The man must be on crack. Puppy poop. I don't do puppy....."

I was chuckling all the while I changed the papers. I stayed a bit longer at the pet shop that night to play with the puppies.