Chapter Forty-three

I went to see Mr. Olsen, our neighbor, about borrowing his car again. Of course, he wanted to hear all about Sarah.

"Are you worried about meeting her family?" he asked kindly.

"No. Yes. Maybe," I chuckled. "Sarah has promised to protect me from her family." I was smiling now, thinking about the conversation.

"You like her, don't you."

"Yes, I do. We run together every morning, rain or shine. And we talk. Sometimes we talk about little things, but often it's about bigger things. They are things that might seem heavy or awkward with someone else. I can't explain it."

He was smiling now. "That was how it was with my wife. We talked all the time...and fought some also, I might add. Did I ever tell you we were married fifty-seven years? Today would have been our sixty-third anniversary." He looked so sad and tired.

"I am sorry. I can see you still miss your wife. Can I do anything for you?" I asked quietly.

"Yes," and he looked up at me with tears in his eyes. "Find someone to love as much as I loved my wife. Cherish her every single day, and never let her forget that you cherish her. Live a long and happy life together. If you can do that, you will have lived a life worth living."

"Yes, sir, I will."

"And of course, you can have the car. You and Jenny keep it running for me, anyway. And don't you think for a minute I don't know that you and Jenny make sure one or both of you are available to take me to my appointments. I think of you both as my children. As you know, we never were lucky enough to have children. If we had children, I would have wished them to be like you two."

With a smile, he said, "I never told either of you how much I look forward to going out for ice cream. I am happy to hear your Sarah also likes ice cream. Maybe someday we can all go together. I would like that."

"Yes. I would like you to meet Sarah. She is a pistol, and I am sure you would get along famously with her. Next week, maybe."

"I'll look forward to it. Now get out of here, and let an old man have some peace," he was laughing now.

"Thanks again for the car, old man." I retorted.

He scoffed and waved me away. I left smiling.