9.My Guide

The rays of sun stretching across the bed woke me. I opened my eyes and realized I was in a hospital bed. Grams was sitting next to me, slouched in a chair, head back, and her mouth open. If it weren't for the loud snoring, it would have appeared she was dead. I stretched my arm out to touch her and noticed there was an i.v. in my vein.

"Grams." I touched her hand.

She snorted, looking around with puffy eyes, until she saw me. "Oh, thank goodness, you're awake. You had us all scared." She breathed a sigh of relief. "Do you remember anything?"

"Not really. The last thing I remember was being at Sophie's. "I'm really thirsty though."

She poured me some ice water from a pitcher on a side table. It was the most wonderful glass of water I'd ever drank. "Actually, they think you may have been dehydrated or something. You passed out at Sophie's. She and Calli tried to get you to come around, but they weren't able to. "

Just then, the doctor came in and checked my vitals. He told me I was dehydrated, and that I'd had a seizure the night before. He said her wanted me to stay for a day or two, so they could run tests on me. Grams surprised me when she asked if that was absolutely necessary, since I seemed fine now. She was usually one to err on the side of caution, and it would have seemed more like her to demand more tests, rather than questioning the need for them.

Sophie and Calli came in to see me, later in the day. They both embraced me like they hadn't seen me in years.

Sophie had tears in her eyes. "You scared the crap out of us."

"Now you know how we felt a few weeks ago."

"Yeah, but you both scared the crap out of me." Calli added.

"Don't you think it's strange we both had seizures Sophie?" I wondered.

"Very. I think that's why they want to run tests, to make sure there isn't something contagious going around," she replied.

"Well, I feel fine," stated Calli.

In the following two days I had every test imaginable to try to determine why I had a seizure. None of them were conclusive, so they released me. It was so nice to get home, in my own bed. I thought I'd never want to leave it again. That lasted the day. I kept hoping Seth would stop by to see how I was feeling, but he didn't. It hurt that he had no concern for me at all.

It was nice, on Tuesday, to once again get back to school and work. I tried to move on from Seth, without being bitter, but seeing him with her still felt like the world was spinning too quickly, leaving my stomach churning. The school announced it was going to let us have a dance this Friday, which would have been exciting news, before the past months events. The teachers in homeroom were given a letter to read, to the students. It stated all the guidelines, and how they hoped this dance would be more successful than the ones held in the past 6 years.

Work was going very well. The staff was amazing and fun to work with, now that I wasn't as shy around them. I was almost done level 8, which meant I'd soon be on the 9th floor... Walter's floor, an unnerving thought.

I was given Friday night off, but the girls and I decided to go shopping in Portland, instead of going to the dance.
When Calli arrived to pick me up, right after school, Grams was out back in her new smoke house, checking the haddock she was smoking for cullen skink soup. It was a recipe she was taught when she visited her cousin's in Scotland. Grams was born in California, but her mother was from Scotland, and she'd often visited her Scottish family in her youth.

She rounded the corner of the house, just as I was closing the door to leave.

"Have a good time sweetheart, don't be too late." Grams was smiling.