11. The Dance

Calli and Sophie did most of the talking while we ate. I was lost in my own world, unable to focus on anything, other than what Joe had just told me.

The next stop was the mall, where we ended up in clothing stores, which usually played the latest hit songs. I found myself bopping to the music as I flipped through the clothing racks.

"What time is it?" Sophie asked

"Twenty to seven," I replied, glancing at my watch.

"I kind of feel like going to the dance now. What do you two think?" She looked at Calli and I pouting.

"Me too, this music has got me in the mood to shake my butt." Calli did a little rump shake and I couldn't help but smile.

"I don't know, Seth will probably be there with the leech." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, come on Abbey, we'll find a hot new outfit for you and make him regret dumping you." Sophie raised one eyebrow.

I had to admit, dancing was long overdue, I definitely needef to preoccupy my mind, and getting further away from Joe was a bonus. I wanted to believe what he said, but it was a lot to absorb in one day. "Okay, let's go," I answered reluctantly.

We got back to Sophie's by 7:30. Calli was amazing at makeup application, and had the three of us looking like movie stars. I wore white, ripped skinny jeans, a grey top I'd just bought, and black ankle boots. Calli wore a little plaid dress that reminded me of little red riding hood, and Sophie had on dark jeans, a white shirt, and a cropped black jacket.

"We look hot," Sophie announced as we were leaving her house. "Seth isn't going to be able to take his eyes off you, Abb."

"Maybe, but I just want to go have fun. Forget Seth." I called Grams from the car to make sure she was okay with me going to the dance and spending the night at Sophie's. She seemed thrilled because she knew how much I loved dances at my old school.

I felt giddy as we pulled into the parking lot and couldn't believe we almost didn't go. Joe and his prophecy were slipping into the back of my mind, which was a blessing.

As we finished paying to get in, Calli used her phone to  snap a picture of Sophie and I with her phone.

"If you take pictures of every detail tonight, I'll shove that camera up ..."
Sophie glanced to the side and raised her eyebrows. "...Sweet honey, who is that?"

Calli and I spun our heads in the direction she was gazing, to find a gorgeous, buff, blonde guy, talking to Dean.

"Have you ever seen anything so fine?" Sophie asked, with a gleam in her eyes.

"Not in person," I replied. He had fine, chiseled cheek bones, perfect lips and the most beautiful hazel eyes I'd ever seen.

Dean made eye contact with Sophie and grinned. It was so obvious that he liked her. He started walking toward us with honey boy in tow.

"Hi, ladies. This is Travis Grimm. He's new here. Today was his first day." He pointed to each of us as he told Travis our names.

"You were at school today?" Sophie blurted.

"Yeah, but I only went to the last few classes because they forgot to register me, and it took half the day to get my schedule worked out." He flashed me a smile, even though he was answering her.

She leaned closer to me, to try and make eye contact with him. "Well, welcome to Cape Elizabeth."

He shifted his eyes to her. "Thanks."

We made our way into the gym, meeting up with Austin, which made Calli's face light up.

The six of us made our way to the bleachers, shouting over the music in order to have a conversation. I caught Travis staring at me, causing my heart to flutter, then a slow song came on. Girls always dread them,  awkwardly waiting for a boy to ask them to dance. Travis immediately held his hand out.