18. Witch's Spell

I made it to Calli's at 12:30. She came to the door still in her pajamas, and I immediately hugged her. "I need to talk to you."

"Okay." She pulled away and smiled.
"Come on in."

"I hope you don't mind me coming to your house. I know the island's kind of private."

Calli's smiled mischievously. "I guess last night was an exception?"

"What? I...um...how do you know about that?" I felt my face blushing.

"I live next door, Abbey. I saw him bring you home." She led me into the kitchen. "I was just about to have some Belgian waffles, want some?"

"Actually, that would be great. I've only had a few cookies and tea all morning."

"So, you remember everything? That must have been a little surprising." She walked to an island, where she already had the waffle maker, and the batter in a bowl next to it.

"Actually, I don't remember everything. Joe says it'll all come back to me soon."

"Joe?"

"Oh yeah, I forgot I didn't tell you about him. Joe's my guide." I hopped up on a stool, sitting so I could face Calli.

"It's good you finally found him. He can teach you a lot." She checked the temperature on the waffle maker, which she already had plugged into the island. "What could I possibly help you with that he can't?"

"That necklace you always wear, where did you get it?"

She pulled the swan pendant from inside inside her top. "You mean this one? You gave it to me. Well, technically. You were you, but not Abbey. I have a sphere of it and you asked if I'd let you cut a piece out of it, to make it . "

"I did? Did I say why?"

"Not really." She poured batter into the waffle maker, unconcerned with my curiosity.

"I must have told you something."

"You just said you wanted me to have a piece to carry with me everywhere I went, for protection. It's not like you had lots of time to explain, in fact it wasn't finished until after you died in that lifetime."

"When was it?"

"During the Salem witch trials in 1692, a hard time for real witches. Do you know what would have
happened if they had gotten their hands on an actual witch? I wasn't about to question you, I just
figured you were privy to something you couldn't explain ."

"That must have been a difficult time for you."

"I wasn't actually living in Salem at the time, but when a fellow witch is in danger, you help them out. I went there, in case all hell broke loose."

"So, none of them tried were real witches?"

"Some real Wiccans were tried, but no blood born Witches. It was hard to watch innocent people die, but if we had intervened, a real witch hunt would have begun. Wiccans have the ability to perform spells, and such, but no active powers. More innocent people would have died, because if real magic had been witnessed, even more people would have been accused." She closed the waffle maker. "That can't be all you wanted to know, is it?"

"No, it's not." I pulled the amulet from my purse and held it up. "Know anything about this?"

Her eyes widened. "Where did you get that?"

"It's a long story, but I supposedly had it made. I have a feeling your stone will fit into it, so I thought I
may have told you something."

She came and sat next to me. "I've never seen it before, but it's extremely powerful. I can feel it. All witches have some weakness, so we acquire a stone, or crystal, with metaphysical properties to protect us against those weaknesses. An ancient witch, Gaia, is 'custos lapidibus' and she has several orbs on hand, of various crystals and stones. As a rite of passage, all witches visit her. She senses your weakness, and uses sage to awaken the crystal she discerns has made a spiritual connection with you."