13. Actions Have Consequences

Work only started at 12:00, but I got up at 6:00 so I could visit Joe. I must be crazy, missing a chance to sleep in, but the need to see him overpowered the need to sleep this morning. Between the photo of Walter, and the voices in my head last night, I couldn't wait until later.

Kittycow and Pita lazily watched me from my bed. "I know, momma's crazy getting up this early." I stroked them on their tiny heads, causing them to purr and knead. Why couldn't I have been born a cat? They have the life. No drama, just sleeping, eating, and love from your owner.

Grams was still snoring, but I gave her a kiss and left a note on her nightstand, explaining I had gone to Portland to replace something I'd broken packing a box. How could I
tell her the truth?

The drive to Portland was only about 20 minutes, but it seemed longer when you're alone. I had no problem finding Joe's place, and was relieved to see lights on in the apartment above his shop. Grams would be mortified I was showing up on someone's doorstep, unanounced at 7:30 in the morning. She taught me better but I needed answers that I didn't want to wait for.

Reaching for the business card Joe gave me, I called him from my cell phone. He answered after just two rings.

"Good morning, you've reached 'Joe's mystic guidance'." He sounded chipper, and very much awake.

"Hi, this is Abbey. I was wondering if I could talk to you."

"Abbey, you have no idea how happy I am to hear from you. When did you want to stop by?"

"Umm...How about right now? I'm on the sidewalk outside your door."

There was movement in the upstairs window, and he pulled a curtain back to wave at me. I waved back.

"I'll be right down." I heard him running down stairs, and within a moment there was the sound of a lock clicking. "Wow, you're an early riser." He smiled when he opened the door, yawning.

"Sorry for dropping by so early. I just couldn't wait to see you." I said anxiously.

"No problem, I'm delighted to see you and I was up anyway." He stepped aside to allow me.

I began pacing in front of his waiting room couch, my mind racing to tell him everything.

"So obviously I think there may be some truth to this whole prophecy stuff or I wouldn't be here." I glanced in Joe's direction briefly, continuing to pace, and speaking in what Grams called speed talking. "Unless you're not real. Maybe you're a hallucination, but if I'm hallucinating it would have to be a good one, since I got in the car and drove to an actual destination. Nothing would surprise me though. I mean hey, I'm hearing voices now, lying without my own consent and understanding a language I never learnt. Kinda crazy, huh? I have proof this time though" I gave a nervous laugh. " The only logical thing that can explain everything , unless I really am insane is this story you told me. You're the only one who knows everything and you don't think I'm crazy...right?"

I stopped pacing, took a deep breath, and waited for Joe to respond. He was still standing by his door, staring at me like a deer caught in headlights.
"What?" I snapped.

"I'm just waiting to see if you're going to pass out. Did you breath during that rant?"

My eyes went wide. "So, I'm a little worked up. Wouldn't you be?"

"If I was as oblivious to the truth as you...yeah, I guess I would be." he answered.

"Well, I'm sorry if I can't remember." I blurted.

"I'll just have to help jog your memory. Please, sit down." He walked to the sofa and sat down. "You say you can understand a foreign language now?"

I sat in one of the old wingback chair to the left of him. "Yes, German. There was an old man in the nursing home who grabbed my wrist and..." My mind couldn't stop trying to rationalize what had happened, making me reluctant to continue. "...It sounds too crazy to say aloud."