11. Put On Your White Sombrero

Back in the past, later in the night, while Ruby was alone in her room, someone tapped on the windowsill. Opening it, she found Fernando on a horse.

YOUNG RUBY – You? What are you doing here?

YOUNG FERNANDO – Aren't you the one who's called "the party spark"?

YOUNG RUBY – Well, I am...

YOUNG FERNANDO – So climb on, I'm taking you to a special party.

(Music: Fernando – instrumental)

Forthwith, Ruby jumped out from the window on the horse's back next to Fernando and they galloped together through the night towards the soldiers' camp where they were all sitting around the fire. After Ruby was presented to everyone, some of the soldiers tried to woo her. 

SOLDIER 1 - Hola guapa! So Fernando, she's the pretty lady you're always talking of?

SOLDIER 2 - The girl with the golden hair!

Ruby blushed.

SOLDIER 3 - But didn't you say she was strong-headed?

SOLDIER 4 (laughing) - Yeah, looks like you succeeded in catching her after all.

Embarassed, Fernando tried to keep his friends quiet.

RUBY - I beg your pardon? How could you imagine that he could catch me this easily? I'm Ruby Sheridan, y'all! Sure, he's handsome as it can be, riding his horse just like the cowboys we see in movies. But I don't need an old fashioned hero! That's too cliché, I want more...

FERNANDO - Why are you acting like you're too good for me?

RUBY - Isn't obvious?

Fernando put on a white sombrero and sat next to the fire playing his guitar with Ruby's eyes watching full of admiration under the starry bright sky.

(Song: Put On Your White Sombrero)

YOUNG FERNANDOPut on your white sombrero
Saddle your horse my dear
And ride off into the sunset
You'd better go
For there is no
Place for you here
Like an old fashioned hero
You stand before me
You think our life is a movie
My world is real
I live and feel
And I can do, without you

RUBY - That's right, you got it!

While he was playing, the other soldiers had grabbed their instruments joining him by singing the choruses. Some of them were dancing with Ruby.

YOUNG FERNANDO & THE SOLDIERS - Put on your white sombrero
Your red bandanna too
Think of this day as a showdown
Goodbye my friend
This is the end
For me and you
Now be a bold vaquero
Don't show your feelings
I'll cry while you're disappearing
Into the night
All dressed in white
Unchained and free, without me

Ruby approached Fernando as he was playing and took his sombrero putting it on her head. Then, she sang with him.

YOUNG RUBY & FERNANDO - Put on your white sombrero
Like all the cowboys do
Go find a sweet señorita
Somebody meek
Who'll never speak
Harshly to you
You're such a caballero
Proud, never bending
I want someone who will take me
Just as I am
I need a man
Who is in rhyme
With his time
You'll never take me

YOUNG RUBY - Just as I am
I need a man
Who is in rhyme                                                                                                                                                      

YOUNG RUBY & FERNANDO - With his time  

While the soldiers were all applauding, Ruby and Fernando stayed face to face staring at each other and were about to kiss when they suddenly heard a distant drum with sounds of bugle calls coming from afar.

(Music: The Visitors – instrumental)

Forthwith, the soldiers prepared themselves from the fight, booing at their weapons. Afraid, Ruby ran away not knowing where to go. After a long distance, she found an old abandoned barn where she entered to be safe. Closing the door, she sat down in a corner while freaking out. All of a sudden, someone knocked on the door. Hesitant, Ruby decided finally to open it: it was Fernando who had followed her on his horse in order to protect her, leaving the fight behind. Ruby threw herself into his arms, terrified by the booming cannon sounds.

YOUNG FERNANDO – Calm down, I'm here. You don't have any reason to be afraid. Just close your eyes and think about the only thing that makes you really happy.

Closing her eyes, Ruby began to sing which calmed her down.                 

(Song: Gonna Sing You My Love Song – a cappella)

YOUNG RUBY - Gonna sing you my love song, gonna bring you some light       
Gonna make you feel happy every day of your life                                                                  
Gonna sing you my love song, gonna make it all right                                                       
You're all I ever need, my darling
And I would love to sing my love song for you

Ruby opened her eyes, diving into Fernando's ones. Step by step, they pulled their heads one towards the other and they kissed passionately.