13. Hasta Mañana

Several weeks later, Ruby and Fernando were living the perfect romance but war was still raging and Fernando still had to fight for his homeland. However, on one morning, his brother Raphael received some good news that were sure to make Fernando feel better.

YOUNG FERNANDO – ¿Que pasa hermano? You wanted to see me?

YOUNG RAPHAEL – Yes. Come on, take a seat for a moment. I know how hard it must be to spend all day on the battlefield.

YOUNG FERNANDO – Well, it had to be one of us and I feel safe knowing that you're here next to your wife while taking care of the family hostel.

YOUNG RAPHAEL – I'm so proud of you hermanito. Anyways, here is some good news to change. A letter just arrived for you. I'm sure it's gonna make you happy.

YOUNG FERNANDO – No... it can't be!

Fernando was trembling: it was the response from the Vatel Ciudad that he had been waiting for since months. Taking a deep breath, he opened it.

YOUNG FERNANDO (reading) – Estimado Señor Fernando Cienfuegos, después de consultas exhaustivas con todos los miembros del consejo al estudiar su solicitud, llegamos al punto de que usted era exactamente el tipo de persona que necesitamos en nuestra institución. Bienvenido a Vatel Ciudad.

(Translation: Dear Mr. Fernando Cienfuegos, after thorough consultations with all the members of the council when studying your application, we reached the point that you were exactly the type of person we need in our institution. Welcome to the Vatel Ciudad.)

Unable to hold back tears of joy, Fernando jumped into his brother arms. Being accepted in this prestigious school was all he had been dreaming of.

YOUNG RAPHAEL – Congratulations hermanito, you really deserve it!

YOUNG FERNANDO – Thank you! Dios mío, where is Ruby? I have to tell her!

YOUNG RAPHAEL – I think she's in the lobby.

Forthwith, Fernando rushed to her beloved one in order to announce her this great news. Opening the lobby door, he found Ruby sitting by the piano. She was playing and singing as she usually does.

(Song: I Let the Music Speak)

YOUNG RUBYI'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs
No poet has ever painted
Voices call out to me, straight to my heart
So strange, yet we're so well acquainted
I let the music speak with no restrains
I let my feelings take over
Carry my soul away, into the world
Where beauty meets the darkness of the day
Let it be the joy of each new sunrise
Or the moment when a day dies
I surrender without reservation
No explanation, no questions why
I take it to me and let it flow through me
Yes, I let the music speak
I let the music speak

As soon as she finished playing, Ruby began to cry. She really loved Fernando, but every minute she was spending here seemed to make her dream fade away from her. From behind the door, her lover witnessed everything. He came to announce that he was about to realize his dream, but what about hers? Closing the door silently, he sat down in a couch and began to think.

(Song: Dum Dum Diddle - a cappella)

YOUNG FERNANDO (a cappella) – I can hear how you work, practicing hard, singing night and day
And it sounds better now, yes you improve every time you play
But too bad
You're so sad
And you're only smiling
When the music's playing

He felt selfish. His love for her was so strong and he couldn't imagine getting in the way of her dreams: she had to go to Las Vegas. So, one night, with the help of Raphael and Cassandra, he came up with a plan in order to make diversion from the coast guards. Thus, he took Ruby on his horse and they secretly crossed the Rio Grande which marks the border between Mexico and the US, until they arrived at a railway station. Time of the farewells had come. Ruby and Fernando hugged without letting themselves go.

YOUNG FERNANDO – Promise me you'll always fight for your dreams.

YOUNG RUBY – Fernando, you know I will. I want you to do the same. One day you'll have your hotel in Greece and I'll visit you.

YOUNG FERNANDO – Sure. When you'll become a famous singer, don't forget the handsome Mexican soldier you've met in your youth.

YOUNG RUBY – Not going to happen, because I'll always love you.

YOUNG FERNANDO – Me too, I'll love you for eternity.

After sharing a last kiss, Ruby rode on the train while waving at Fernando who gave her a photo of them with on its back written "To the girl with the golden hair". Then, he disappeared on his horse into the night as the train started.

(Song: Hasta Mañana)

YOUNG RUBY - Where is the spring and the summer
That once was yours and mine?
Where did it go?
I just don't know
But still my love for you will live forever

YOUNG RUBY & FERNANDO - Hasta mañana 'til we meet again
Don't know where, don't know when
Darling, our love was much too strong to die
We'll find a way to face a new tomorrow
Hasta mañana, say we'll meet again  
I can't do without you
Never forget, send me a letter
May you forgive, the sooner the better
Hasta mañana, baby, hasta mañana, until then

Suddenly, Fernando stopped in the middle of the desert, looking back behind him at the train that was disappearing towards the horizon.

YOUNG FERNANDO - ¿Donde quedo nuestro sueno
Aquel que se escapo?

Where did it go?
I just don't know
And I can't tell you just how much I'll miss you

YOUNG RUBY & FERNANDO - Hasta mañana, say we'll meet again  
I can't do without you
Never forget, send me a letter 
May you forgive, the sooner the better 
Hasta mañana, baby, hasta mañana, until then