38 - False

I bit my nails but then pulled my hand away. I had to stop that habit.

Five minutes passed. I tapped my foot until an older gentleman gave me an annoyed look, so I stopped.
This couldn't take long right? She basically already knew she was pregnant, what could they be doing?
Another five minutes passed.

I was just starting to doze off when a door opened and Mary walked out. An unbelieving expression on her face.
She smiled at me but immediately walked past me, outside.
I hurried after her and saw her standing against a tree lighting a cigarette. When I got to her I stuttered "isn't- isn't that bad for..."

"False positive."

"What?"

Mary turned to me "it was a flippin' false positive! Something about my embryo not attaching"
I looked at her before reacting. When she smiled widely, I did as well.
"So that's... good news?!" I hesitated.
"Yes!" Mary cheered "c'mon I'm not ready for a kid".
"Yeah, I thought so! I just wanted to make sure you weren't sad or anything..."
"Don't be silly" Mary smiled "don't get me wrong I love kids" she inhaled deeply "but me and Fred would rather get a cat".
We laughed.
She offered me the cig but I shook my head, smoking was only fun every once in a while. "How are you gonna break it to Freddie?" I asked.
"I don't know yet" Mary answered. "What if we get him a 'it's a girl!' card and write 'false positive' over 'girl'".
Mary and I laughed even harder.

I really liked her.
We started walking back and Mary started asking me questions about Roger and I and we talked and giggled the entire way to where I had left my bike.

"Thank you, for coming with me. I felt pretty scared but you helped me. That's... really nice" Mary said softly as I got on my bike.
I pulled her in for a hug "of course, girls support girls, you know".
She smiled and we said our goodbyes.

I started biking home when I realized "the groceries!"
So I turned around and quickly went to the store at last.