Chapter 8- The Party

The girls were all getting ready at their flat; even Paige had come around with her fiancé Wesley.

"How does this look?" Rae asked, standing with her arms out.

"No!" came a chorus from the girls.

"What's wrong with it?" Rae asked, disgruntled. She'd made more of an effort. Leatherette skinny trousers, cut-out heeled boots and a nice top. She was even wearing a bra and a decent lace bra, not just a sports one.

"Change the top, something... something...," Paige started.

"Less black!" Rose chimed in.

"I don't like colour; I feel comfortable in black," Rae explained.

"You hide in black. I'm not saying colour; I'm just saying less black or sexier!" Rose retorted as she headed to Rae's wardrobe.

"Black, black, black, grey, black, oh here!" Rose pulled out a dark purple silken lacy top.

"That's a piece of underwear!" Rae exclaimed.

"And?" Phoebe said, "I've seen you dancing in your bra."

"Sports bra. Big difference."

"Not really," Rose said, shoving it at her.

"Fine," Rae said as she snatched the top. She threw off the top she'd been wearing and chucked it on, "Better?"

"God's sake, Rae," Paige stood and walked towards her, shoving her hands down Rae's trousers and tucking the top in. "That's better."

Rae rolled her eyes at her. This sort of violation of personal space was completely acceptable among her and her friends.

"What do I wear for a jacket now?"

"The waterfall one?" Rose said like it was obvious.

"Hhmm," Rae went and grabbed the waterfall jacket and put it on. Good choice.

They headed to the tube; it was a crisp, cool, clear night, mercifully without rain. Getting on the tube at Tooting Broadway, they all had a seat.
"Where do Hux and Ben live?" Paige asked.

"Canary Wharf."

"Oh, very fancy," Wesley answered.

"Why can't we live in fancy places?" Paige asked her soon-to-be husband.

"Because we both stupidly decided to become health professionals, key workers, working in the public sector."

"Oh yeah, that's right."

"You should go private and become a plastic surgeon," Rae quipped.

"You know my morals won't allow me to do such a thing, Rae."

"I know Wes, you and Paige are slaves to the NHS. Don't get me wrong, I admire you both. What you deal with, the hours you work and unpaid, the debt from your studies. I merely wish you were paid better."

"Amen!" cried Paige.

"Rae," Phoebe interrupted, "please don't be, be, you this evening?"

Rae's face fell aghast at what her oldest friend had just said, and she looked at the others but failed to find any support. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just don't be aggressive and try to be nice to Ben."

"I was perfectly cordial to him at the Tate."

"Perfectly cordial," Rose mimicked before snickering before her sister hit her.

"I said thank you to him at work. He barely talks to me; he doesn't like me. If he speaks to me, I'll be civil. He's my boss. I won't be rude; I wanna keep my job."