Chapter 21- We're Official

When Hux entered, Ben was on the phone in the gallery of work, taking notes from a client; Ben raised his eyebrows at him in greeting before continuing. It was a tedious conversation; they had given the client everything they'd asked for, but now the client had changed their mind. Currently, he was setting them straight that the contract had been fulfilled and that them changing their minds meant paying again. The phone call finally ended, and Ben gritted his teeth, shaking his head in annoyance.

"Everything OK?" Hux asked, leaning on his desk.

"Fine.... fucking Bullseye account changing their mind about everything they want and thinking they don't have to pay for what we've done."

"So good start to the week then," Hux said, running a hand through his hair.

"Once this contract is complete and we've been paid, we are not working with them again. They've been a fucking nightmare since day one."

"Whatever you say, man," Hux replied. "So.... what happened at the weekend? Didn't see you after to catch up."

Ben smirked at him, and opposite, Hux broke into a full smile, raising his eyebrows surprised.

"Yeah? You did it? You're together?"

Ben rolled his head and leaned back in his chair, looking temporarily at the ceiling.

"Nothing happened, but we did clear matters up, and I'd say we are... official."

"How can you be official if nothing happened? I know she was too wasted Saturday for anything to happen, you're not an irredeemable arsehole, but something must've happened yesterday at hers?"

"We watched a movie, and I told her how I feel and that I don't want to be friends. She said she doesn't want to be either."

Hux stopped leaning on his desk and came over to Ben's, looking down at him.

"Well, that's something, I guess, but that was it? Nothing else?"

Ben cocked his head at him with a half grimace.

Hux tried again, "You just watched a film and chatted, that was it?"

"Yeah."

"Ben mate, you've wanted this for months, liked her for months, and you didn't even kiss her?"

"She asked me to stay. I said no."

Now Hux had his hands in his hair again, taking clumps in his fists, "What? Why?"

"She was on a date with someone else a week ago; I don't want this to be some dalliance or a flight of fancy. It could get seriously awkward if we impulsively do something, and she changes her mind just as quickly. She works here for us, so I want to be sure she wants this just as much as I do."

Hux removed his hands from his hair and nodded, "Well, when you put it like that, yeah, fair enough."

"Did you and Phoebe discuss the L word any further Sunday?"

Hux turned red and smiled and stroked his beard.

"Yeah. We talked about taking it to the next level: living together."

"Wow!" Ben stood up and embraced his friend, "That's great, man."

"We'll need to talk through the logistics, both you and I," Hux said, pointing between them, "and Phoebe and I."

"Course. That's great. I'm happy for you." Ben said, maintaining an arm on Hux's shoulder.

"Thanks," Hux said before giving Ben another hug and patting him on the back.