Chapter 22- Handsy

"Rae, Rae tea, come on, we gotta go."

Rae opened a blurry eye. Phoebe stood before her, looking pristine and clean in jeans and a white t-shirt; she was holding a steaming cup of tea.

"Rose is making breakfast; come on, get in the shower. Busy, busy day."

"Uh."

Rae threw off the covers. If it were a workday, she'd have five more minutes, but this was the designated 'get all shit done' Saturday before next week's wedding.

"I'm up, I'm up." She took the cup from Phoebe and headed for the bathroom to shower. In the shower, she thought about the long week she'd had and the long day ahead, but once it was all done, she and Phoebe would be heading to the boy's, and she'd get to spend time with Ben. She still felt frustrated at the lack of physical interaction, but his every look, the touch of his hand or the brush of his lips against her cheek gave her shivers. Poe was right; the build-up was becoming tantalising; her fantasies of what it might be like to kiss him finally were a nightly dream and daily daydream when she had time to think of such things.

Eggs were waiting for Rae as promised in the kitchen; once she was ready and dressed, she inhaled them hungrily as they went through the list of things they needed to do today. Phoebe had her phone out, noting all the times and places- this was precisely why she was the breadwinner of their little group, the lawyer with her incredibly organised mind.

"So pick up the bridesmaid dresses, meet Paige for her final fitting and take the dress, collect the shoes, bouquets, buttonholes and flower arrangements from Anya. Is that everything?"

"Rae, you're still OK to do everyone's nails and makeup, right?"

Rae nodded. A cheapskate by nature, Rae had learnt to do gel nails years ago and to save Paige some money, she had volunteered to do everyone's nails. Rae didn't own much makeup, but she was good at applying it, and none of the girls wanted to look not like themselves. Rae would bring her supplies and give everyone that retro eye look that would match the theme; everything else was up to the individual bridesmaids.

Despite most of the day being spent travelling the expanse of London due to collecting masses of stuff, public transport had been ruled out, and Phoebe had asked Hux if she could borrow his car; however, for some reason, Hux had volunteered to drive them, all day as their personal chauffeur. When informed it would be incredibly tedious and a lot of sitting in traffic and dealing with a stressed-out bride and her bridesmaids, Hux had said a day with Phoebe regardless was his ideal day. The following responses of fake vomiting or genuine gushing and jealousy had seemed entirely acceptable.

The doorbell rang- he was here. The girls grabbed everything, and off they went.

..............................................

The day had been longer and more complicated than anyone had anticipated, and Rae now sat in the back of Hux's car half asleep, but as they got closer to Ben's, the butterfly feeling in her stomach helped raise her from her exhaustion. They dragged everything out of the car; Hux had offered to keep everything at their apartment; it had enough space, and then he'd drive it all down for the wedding. No wonder Phoebe had babies with this man running around in her head. He was just so perfect. Hux carried the boxes of paper flowers that were the table decorations, bouquets and buttonholes, Phoebe had Paige's dress, and Rae brought the bridesmaid dresses. They were all taken to the snug at the back of the apartment under the sleeping pods. Once everything was safely stored, they wandered back into the kitchen; they laid the food they'd brought: cheese, cured meats, olives and French stick.

"Drink?" Hux asked, taking some stubbies out of the fridge.

"Oh god, yes," Rae said gratefully.

"Cheers," Phoebe responded.