Chapter 23- An Unwelcome Visitor

Hux woke up uncharacteristically early Sunday morning. Not 6 am on a weekday early, but before 10 am on the weekend was rare. He lay for a while watching Phoebe's nude back rising and falling on the bed next to him, pondering how he had gotten quite so lucky to have found the wonder of the woman lying next to him. After a while, he decided to get up, get some coffee, and make some breakfast; maybe he'd make some pancakes. He was confident they had fresh fruit, and there was usually bacon in the fridge. He was not a fan of bacon on pancakes, but he knew Ben was. Hux carefully removed himself from the bed, grabbed some sweats and a t-shirt, then crept around the bed and out the door. He threw on the t-shirt, tiptoed down the stairs and headed into the kitchen area, opening the fridge and checking for the ingredients he wanted- yep, fruit and bacon- winning! He went to the percolator and noticed coffee was already made and steaming. That's weird. Ben drinks tea, and so does Rae.

Hux poured himself a cup and leaned back against the kitchen island. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed someone sitting silently on the sofa. He turned, and an unexpected and not exactly welcome sight greeted him. Her exquisite white-blonde hair, perfectly manicured nails and a face that was never without flawlessly applied makeup were unmistakable. How she appeared today was a classic example of her ultimate form: leopard print cardigan, nude leather skirt and stilettos that matched. Immaculately and utterly perfect, and on the surface at least, faultless. Hux suppressed a groan. This morning would no longer be nice, and if Ben came down before Hux could get rid of her, it would be downright ugly.

"Lucinda, this is an unforeseen surprise. To what do I owe this rather early visit?"

Lucindaturned and smiled at him; her teeth, just like everything else about her, wereperfect. She was a stunning beige vision as she stood and clacked towards himon her heels.

 She was a stunning beige vision as she stood and clacked towards himon her heels

"Huxley darling, so good to see you."

She walked towards him, arms outstretched, apparently for some feigned familial embrace, which Hux merely eyed suspiciously. Out of courtesy, Hux pecked her on the cheek. She smelt strongly of makeup, hairspray and perfume, and the smell made his nose wrinkle, but he kept his face neutral.

"Bella called me and told me about your new lady and your plans," she stated as though that was her genuine reason for being here. Hux sighed, of course, Bella. His beautiful and fragile younger stepsister who was nothing like her mother. He called her every week, and this week, he had told her everything about Phoebe and their plans to move in together earlier this week. However, that wasn't why Lucinda was here, even though that was her excuse. Hux meant nothing to Lucinda; she meant just as little to him.

"So why are you here? To wish me congratulations because you could've done that with a card, a text or a phone call."

"No, Darling, I spoke to your father, and he asked me to bring you this. Took me a while to find at his place, but here," she placed a box on the kitchen island. Hux knew what it was; it was his grandmother's wedding ring, which Hux's father, Brendan, had never entrusted to any of his wives, not even Hux's mother, Brendan's first wife.