Chapter 29- The Reason

In his room, Ben didn't bother to wait for the food to be delivered; he stripped off and got straight in the shower. He turned the water to cool as he leaned against the tiles with his hands. Head dipped, watching the water run off his hair to the floor. His skin felt like fire, and his loins ached. This ache wasn't just a result of a stressful week or a hot, hard day followed by a long bike ride. She had done this to him. He touched his bottom lip, subtly swollen and nicely sensitive from passionate kisses and desirous teeth. He leant back, letting the cold water shower his face, attempting to wash away these feelings. He was exhausted, and tomorrow was the wedding. She had duties with the other bridesmaids. He couldn't do this now. It didn't work. He practically scrubbed himself raw with soap before exiting the shower, as frustrated leaving as he'd been when he entered. As he partially redressed in boxers and sweatpants, there was a knock on his door. His mind automatically jumped to Rae, but he heard a muffled greeting of, 'Room service.'

Right, of course, he'd ordered food. He opened the door and let them in. He looked at the food he'd ordered, no longer feeling hungry or at least not the kind that the burger before him would satiate. He ate it anyway. He felt much the same after eating as before, an unquenchable gnawing in his stomach. If he were at home, he'd go to the gym or go for a ride.

He lay on the bed and put some music on, closing his eyes, attempting to relax.
The first song was Incubus Pardon Me.

So pardon me while I burst into flames
I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games
So pardon me while I burn and rise above the flame
Pardon me, pardon me, I'll never be the same.

The song was not calming him. The lyrics encapsulated his current physical issue where he thought he might spontaneously combust.
Halfway through, he skipped it, and the next track started, mellower. This was better, Hoobastank The Reason. He liked this song, but it wasn't helping to calm him and stop the blood charging through his veins because it made him think of Rae.

I'm not a perfect person.
There's many things I wish I didn't do
But I continue learning
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say, before I go
That I just want you to know

I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
And the reason is you.

Fuck it. Ben made an impulsive decision, and grabbing a shirt and chucking on some trainers, he headed out of the room to find Rae. Outside his door, however, he realised he had no idea which room was hers, so he headed to reception to find out.

-X-

In Rae's room, the girls were in their pyjamas, drinking and gossiping. Technically, nothing between them would change tomorrow, but officially, one of them would be married. It felt like the end of a chapter, and so they were spending it together. Rose had bought face masks, to which Phoebe had immediately pointed out that should someone have an allergic reaction, they'd have severe issues tomorrow, so they'd put those aside. Rae was, however, shellacking nails with her kit, better now than early in the morning.

"So Rae, what's going on with you and Ben? The sexual tension is quite frankly palpable!" Paige said as Rae sat carefully, painting her nails a light grey.

Rae rolled her eyes at her.
"Paige, it's the night before your wedding day. Can we please not talk about me."

"That's right, it's my wedding, so we'll talk about whatever the fuck I want, and I want to discuss the drama that is you and Ben, so it's not an issue tomorrow."

"Fine," Rae answered, not looking up from the task at hand.

"So you guys finally kissed. How was it?"