•chapter six•

Danielle's POV

I drove down the road, tears dangerously blurring my vision. I gripped the steering wheel until my knuckles turned white and to make it all worse, the rain was pouring. I had been driving for awhile and it was now 5 am. Jacob would be up soon and he would be worried, but I really didn't care. I was so tired of living a lie, I was so tired of running from my past when it always came back to bite me in the ass. I couldn't hide the fact that I was a sixteen year old prostitute at one time and I couldn't hide the fact that my mom overdosed on heroin. I always knew it would happen, but I really didn't need it right now. I always had this sick thought that maybe one day she would straighten up and be one of those mom's that actually cared about me. But that was just a lie I liked to tell myself when I was scared. Before I even realized where I was at, I was driving down Skeet's road. I slid into his driveway and slammed the car door as I got out. The rain immediately soaked me. I was still wearing my shorts and tank top, mascara streaming down my cheeks, I looked awful, but I couldn't think about that now. I banged on his door as I noticed the sun rising and peaking through the trees behind his house. I stood there shaking, impatiently waiting for him to answer the door. To my relief, a very tired and concerned Skeet peered at me from behind his cracked door.

"Danielle, baby, get in here. You're shivering." He said, exasperated as he pulled me into his house.

He immediately grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around me before I fell into his arms. My legs were too weak to hold me up any longer.

"Baby, tell me what's wrong." He whispered as he sat down on his floor with me on his lap.

He stroked my back and rocked me back and forth as I sobbed into his chest. I was struggling to form words and I gripped his shoulder for support. My wet hair dangled in my eyes as more and more tears strangled me.

"She's gone, Skeet." I cried, I was hysterical.

"Who, Danielle?" He asked as he cupped my face.

"My mom, she overdosed." I moaned as my teeth chattered.

"Oh, baby. I'm so, so sorry. I'm right here." He soothed as he laid my head on his shoulder.

"Why did she have to do it, Skeet? Why couldn't she had just been a normal mom? That's all I ever wanted. I just wanted her to love me." I screamed as I fought against his arms wrapped around me.

I wanted up, I wanted to punch something. I was so angry, but so confused.

"Why does it have to be like this? Why me? Why does all this have to fucking happen to me?!" I yelled as Skeet tried to interrupt me.

"Danielle! Listen to me." Skeet growled, making me flinch and immediately stop talking.

He gripped my shoulders and held me tight as he stared me in the eye.

"Your mom did love you. She had a problem and I'm so sorry that this happened, but it's not anyone's fault. She was an addict, we can't change that." He softened his tone as he tucked my hair behind my ear.

"I'm sorry, Skeet. I'm just so angry. It hurts like hell." I whispered as fresh tears filled my eyes.

"Babygirl, don't apologize. I'm glad you came to me. Now, you're really cold. We need to get you out of these clothes and get you warm." Skeet said as he clutched me tighter and stood up.

He carried me upstairs to his bedroom and sat me on his bed. He quickly closed the doors that led out to his little balcony, so I wouldn't be cold. Skeet rummaged through his drawers, searching for some warm clothes for me. He grabbed an old concert tee and some leggings that Naiia had left.

"Can you undress yourself or do you want me to help you?" He asked me softly.

"Can you help?" I whispered, unsure of my ability to stand. "It doesn't help that I got hammered tonight before I found out."

"Of course." He said coming closer to me.

I was sitting on the edge of his bed, shaking in my wet clothes.

"May I?" He questioned as he gestured to my tank top.

I nodded as he gripped the hem of it and slipped it over my head.

I shivered, now exposed in nothing but my bra. I respected the way Skeet had no ill intentions, he paid my body no mind, he just wanted to make me feel better. He smiled down at me as I raised my arms, like a child, and he pulled the t-shirt on.

"I feel really silly." I giggled.

"Don't." He said as he rubbed his thumb over my cheek. "Let's change your pants."

I laid back and he slipped my shorts down my long legs and pulled the leggings up. He quickly grabbed a towel and started to rub my soaked hair with it.

"You really scared me, babygirl." Skeet whispered as he dried my hair.

"I know and I'm sorry. I just didn't know what to do, Jacob was home, but I wanted you." I replied shakily.

He threw the towel down and sat beside of me on the bed. Skeet wrapped his arms around my body and kissed my forehead. He then picked me up and laid me down, pulling the covers up over me.

"Please don't leave me." I winced at the pain in my head.

"I'm not going to. I'm just going to get you some water and then I'll come lay down with you to keep you warm." He promised.

I laid there staring at the ceiling, waiting for him. My breathing was sharp and I felt a panic attack coming on, but it subsided when Skeet came back into the room. He sat the glass of water down on the bed side table and joined me under the covers. Skeet pulled me into his side and his hands landed on the small of my back. His chin rested on the top of my head as I smelled the cologne on his t-shirt.

"I wish I could take away the pain, baby. I would in a heartbeat. Just know that I'm here no matter what and your mom isn't suffering anymore." Skeet comforted me.

"I'll be okay as long as you stay with me. I know I'm broken and you probably want to run now that you know the truth about me, but I really need you." I whispered, suddenly realizing how pathetic my life was.

"I'm not going anywhere, Danielle. You're not broken, you're beautiful. Do you understand me?" He demanded as he cupped my face.

I nodded as tears streamed down my cheeks. Skeet kissed them away as I clutched his shirt, not wanting him to let go.