• chapter twenty-seven •

Danielle

"Well I think you're all set." I helped Jacob up from the carpet floor.

"Thank you for this. It looks great." I smiled as we both looked at the crib he had just assembled in the dim nursery.

"Danny, I know we've had a rocky relationship but I've really changed. I want you to know that I'll always be taking care of you and our baby." He hugged me as best he could with my baby bump.

"It really means a lot, Jake. You know you've always been my best friend." I smiled as he rubbed my stomach.

"I think we're ready for this baby." He lightly chuckled.

"Expect we need a name."

"Yeah, I guess so." He laughed. "I have an idea but I doubt you'll like it."

"Let's go sit down and then we can talk about it. My feet are killing me."

Jacob followed me into the living room and propped some pillows up so I could get comfortable.

"So, tell me your idea." I requested.

"Do you remember my grandma?" I nodded. "Well she used to always say if she would've had a girl she was going to name her Marion. I think that's pretty, but I mean your carrying her so it's up to you." He blushed slightly.

This was like a whole new man I was looking at. The old Jacob was totally gone.

"I really like that. Marion Elizabeth." I tried it out.

"Did we just name our daughter?" He smiled.

"I think we did."

After a few minutes of talking about everything and anything, Jacob cleared his throat.

"I.. uhh.. better get going." He stood up, before kissing my cheek.

I could tell he still wanted me back, but I just smiled gently as he walked towards the door.

I hobbled to the kitchen waiting to hear the door shut but before he could leave there came a knock.

"Danielle, you have some company." Jacob called from the living room before leaving.

"Well, who is it.." My heart sank to my stomach when I saw who was standing in my doorway.

"Skeet?" I squeaked.

"Danielle." He sighed, sounding almost as if he was relieved to see me.

I studied him for a moment. He looked just like he did almost 6 months ago, but he look sadder. He looked like he had missed me as much as I had missed him. I watched as he nervously brushed his fingers through his brown hair.

"Is it alright if I come in?" Skeet politely asked.

"Yeah, uh, take a seat." I gestured to the couch as I wiped my hands on the dish towel.

I watched as he stared at my swollen belly. I was 8 months pregnant so there was a lot to look at. God, just seeing him standing here is enough to drive me mad. I threw the dirty towel in the hamper before making my way back to the living room.