•chapter twelve•

Danielle's POV

I jolted awake from an awful nightmare, but I immediately regretted it as a soaring pain shot through my head. I winced and looked around as I realized this was not my bedroom. I groaned and threw myself down against the pillow when I glanced over and saw Skeet laying next to me.

"Well good morning to you too." Skeet said yawning. "I guess I should say good afternoon because it's 3 o'clock."

I was about to reply with a snarky response, but before I could an all too familiar feeling rose in my stomach.

"Ahh! I'm going to be sick!" I moaned as I threw the covers off and ran to the bathroom.

I sunk to my knees in front of the toilet and gagged. It wasn't long before I felt Skeet kneel beside me. He held my hair and rubbed my back as I puked my guts out. When I was finished I sat up and pulled my knees to my chest as I started to cry.

"Why are you crying, baby?" Skeet asked softly as he caressed my knee.

"This is too much. I shouldn't be here and I'm still angry at you." I whined.

"Listen Danielle, I really am sorry. That was so wrong of me to say last night, I was drunk and I never wanted to hurt you." Skeet said with compassion in his eyes.

I couldn't stay angry at him, I need him right now.

"It's okay, but it really fucking hurt." I confessed.

He just nodded and caressed my hand with his thumb. I smiled at his soft touch. Sudden panic crossed my face when I couldn't recall much from last night, except dancing in the bar and slapping Skeet.

"We didn't do anything, did we?" I asked frantically.

"No, but you tried several times." Skeet chuckled.

"Sorry, I guess I get really horny when I'm drunk." I giggled and Skeet stood up and offered his hand.

"I can't believe we slept that late." I said as Skeet heaved me up off the floor.

"Well, we didn't go to sleep until about 4." He replied.

Skeet found me an extra toothbrush. I rinsed my mouth as good as possible and took a shower while he found me some clothes. Thankfully I had wrapped a towel around my wet body before Skeet came barging in. My mouth went dry at the sight of him standing so close when I was so exposed. He quickly diverted his eyes and a blush rose to his cheeks.

"Sorry, I didn't think that through, I should have knocked." He said in a raspy voice as he sat the clothes on the counter.

Once he was gone, I quickly got dressed in the old "Red Hot Chili Peppers" t-shirt and leggings he brought me. By the time his daughter came to visit again, she wouldn't have any leggings left. I found Skeet in the kitchen, drinking coffee and I stood there in the doorway watching him. He looked so content, but all I could notice was the things I didn't need to. Like the way his lips looked as he drank and how his bicep flexed as he lifted the mug to his mouth.

"You're staring." He interrupted my thoughts.

"I find myself staring a lot lately." I admitted, sitting down at the table.