Peryton

Artist~ Pagerda

PERYTON
(peri-tonne)

Historical Context:

Peryton's don't come from any particular mythology (according to my research). They were created by a man named Jorge Louis Borges in 1957, based off a long-lost medieval transcript.

Height: ≈ five foot
Weight: ≈ 250 kilograms
Life span: ≈ 20 to 25 years
Attack: 60//antlers on head (if male), hooves, very aggressive
Armour: 30// body of fur but many have antlers
Defence: 70// antlers, bucking, the ability to run away fast, the ability to fly away
Stealth: 40// light walkers, but may be noisy when coming out of the sky
Diet: herbivore// wild berries and grass
Habitat: varies// wide open plains, forests and other areas where they can easily find food

Height: ≈ five footWeight: ≈ 250 kilogramsLife span: ≈ 20 to 25 yearsAttack: 60//antlers on head (if male), hooves, very aggressiveArmour: 30// body of fur but many have antlersDefence:  70// antlers, bucking, the ability to run away fast, the abi...

Artist~ Grace Owen

Sex:
The male gender of the perytons are known as bucks and the female's are known as does. The offspring of the perytons are known as fawns. Within perytons, the bucks usually take charge of large groups of perytons.

Appearance:
Perytons take the appearance of a human deer. The bucks will start to grow horns within two years of life, creating a dominating look among the perytons. But, in addition to deers, perytons have wings. They protrude from the shoulder blades of the front legs. Perytons have a minimal variety of colour for their fur, only different shades of brown and can sometimes be grey. Other colours that are less common are black coats, and if a peryton has been experimented on, other colours may concur. They can also have small patches of white or darker colours on their fur. As for the tails, they can either be a natural small nub or long tails with a small amount of fluff on the end. But in other cases, the tail is an strange of feathers that help with flying.

Mating:
Does play hard to get, allowing the buck to chase her and choosing when she wants to be caught. Once the buck has caught the doe, they stay together for a about a year, until the fawn is born. Then the buck decides if he wants to stay or not; if not, he moves on to find another doe. Perytons will mate up to five times in a life time and a doe can have up to two fawns at a time.

Artist~ Brookreed on DeviantArt

Hunting:
Perytons are not hunters for they do not eat meat. These herbivores don't have to look far for food when they become hungry. They usually stay in areas where there is mass vegetation. This makes food sources easy to find. When it is one of the cooler seasons, and when it may snow, they will eat tree bark and leaves from trees. However, they are the hunted. Perytons make a delicious meal, to any creature, so they need to be alert all the time.

Temperament:
Perytons tend to be a little skittish when they live far away from any kind of civilisation. However, if they live near villages, they tend to be more confident around other creatures, like the Chlazons (read my book The Falling to understand this reference). They become more demanding for food and easier to tame. Furthermore, bucks are usually large enough and strong enough to be able to hold the weight of a regular human being, therefore making noble steeds.

Rarity:
Most perytons are the same when it comes to appearance and abilities, though some may have bird like feet on their hind legs instead of having hooves like they do on their front legs. Other than that, perytons have a usually flight speed unless they are smaller which means less weight to carry. On the odd occasion, a buck will only have one horn, but that is nothing special. It just means that the buck lost a fight to another peryton or was recently attacked.

Artist~ Lycanium on DeviantArt

Comment and vote if you liked the peryton :)