Crocotta

Artist~ Unknown

C R O C O T T A

(crow-cah-tah)

General History:
The crocotta, also known as the corocotta, crocuta, or leucrocotta, is a mythical dog-wolf that originated in India or Aethiopia. It is linked to the hyena, said to be a deadly enemy of men and dogs. It is said that they can imitate the human voice to lure men to their deaths, impossible to overcome by any weapon of steel. This creature can also be found in Roman history.

Height: ≈ 160cm
Weight: ≈ 480kg
Life-span: ≈ 15 years
Attack: 100 // sharp teeth, sharp claws, killer instincts
Armour: 90 // tough skin that cannot be broken by steel (other materials only)
Defence: 90 // incredibly fast and durable
Stealth: 100 // cameoflauge, mimics voices
Diet: carnivore // mainly humans and dogs, but satisfied with any meat
Habitat: can survive anywhere as long as there is food available

Height: ≈ 160cmWeight: ≈ 480kgLife-span: ≈ 15 yearsAttack: 100 // sharp teeth, sharp claws, killer instincts Armour: 90 // tough skin that cannot be broken by steel (other materials only)Defence: 90 // incredibly fast and durableStealth: 100 // ca...

Artist~ Piper Kalon Marie

Sex:
While most accounts with crocottas' leave people lifeless, there is some distinction between the biological genders of these dog-like creatures. The female is often referred to as bitch, due to it being much like a canine, and the male is referred to as a dog. Their offspring are called cubs.

Appearance:
These creatures have several descriptions, two of the most common being likely to hyenas or a chimera shaped body created by different pieces.
The former is described as such: a dog like figure with spots, a line of extra fur coming down from its head to its back. The creature can be as tall as a mule or donkey, weighing much the same.
The latter is described from ancient encounters, detailing the beats to be as tall as an ass, with a stag's hauches, a lion's neck, tail and breast, badger's head, cloven hoof, mouth opening right back to its ears, and ridges of bone in place of rows of teeth.
Greek geographer Strabo also describes another depiciton of the crocotta as the mixed progeny of a wolf and a dog.

Mating:
The bitches are the more dominant and taller beasts than the dogs. They are the ones that lead packs, also known as clans, of crocottas within the places they live. Crocottas mate up to two times in their lifespans, but usually only once. A litter of cubs can be between five to eight, all left in the care of the dog, rather than the bitch, after the cubs are weened off the milk provided by the bitch. Crocottas usually don't mate for life either, moving from mate to mate as they please. But these are intelligent creatures, and sometimes they choose a life long partner.

 But these are intelligent creatures, and sometimes they choose a life long partner

Artist~ Lincoln M.

Hunting:
Crocotta's will usually hunt in packs of three or four, and will target large herds of sheep, cows, zebras, etc.; anything with lots of meat to the bones. The biggest bitch of hunting pack will lead the kill and bring the haul back to the clan. About six or so hunting packs will go out daily to bring back food for the clan of up to a hundred crocottas.
When crocottas are in a human populated area, whether it is large or small, they will hunt individually, using their ability to mimic human voices to lure in their target. Usually, they will act as an injured being known to the target, often calling out their target's name while keeping up the pretense of being ill.

Temperament:
Crocottas are vicious, hungry creatures. They have been used in Roman battles to fight against gladiators because they are known for having little vulnerabilities. Steel breaks when it comes in contact with the skin of a crocotta, leaving its opponent to think of other ways to defeat it.
However... it is not unknown to befriend one of these dangerous creatures. Just be sure you don't find yourself eaten because it spent all that time luring you into being its next meal.

Rarity:
There are no other unusual abilities, powers or weaknesses that the crocottas possess aside from being able to mimic the voices of humans.

Rarity:There are no other unusual abilities, powers or weaknesses that the crocottas possess aside from being able to mimic the voices of humans

Artist~ Unknown