Chapter 16 - The Battle of the Titan-shifters | Annie

Third Person's POV

Lightning struck the ground as a feminine body made of muscles appeared out of thin air. Eclaire randomly grasped and held onto a sturdy wall of the house she was on, trying not to get carried by the air.

The harsh heat stung her delicate skin, but her face showed no sign of pain. Armin was right, Annie was the female titan. Eclaire's goal was clear, to subjugate the female titan and protect Eren.

As for Eren, he still couldn't believe the fact that Annie was the female titan. He was... confused.

Tons of questions invaded his head, clouding his judgement on the current situation.

The trio ran into the Underground, going in deeper to meet Squad Three.

Plan A didn't go so well, since Annie transformed. Mikasa remained calm and clear headed, while Armin was terrified, but his head was also clear. The two were doing surprisingly well, but Eren still couldn't grasp the fact that Annie was, indeed, the female titan.

Squad Three was in their line of sight, but the female titan stepped on the ceiling, crushing Squad Three before the trio could even get near.

"We have to get them out of there!" Eren yelled while Mikasa and Armin held him back.

"Its too late! We have to stay here, Eren!" Mikasa said.

Eren was reluctant, but he stayed put.

"Since we're going with Plan B, you have to transform, Eren," Armin stated.

Eren brought his fist closer to his mouth and harshly bit on it, drawing out a lot of blood. But unfortunately, Eren didn't transform.

"Damn it, why now!?" Eren panicked and repeatedly bit on his fist again and again, drawing out more blood.

"Maybe you have to have a clear goal in mind, like Hanji said," Armin said, a worrying tone laced within.

"Are you perhaps having doubts? No matter how you look at it, Annie is the female titan. She is our enemy," Mikasa said.

A small rustling sound was heard a few meters away. Mikasa drew out her sword, getting ready for battle.

"Woah, relax, its just me," a familiar figure of a white haired woman appreared.

"Are you kids okay?" Eclaire asked.

"We're fine, how about you? Your skin is kinda... red," Armin said, scratching his chin.

"Oh, I'm fine. I'm just a bit sensitive to the hea- Eren, what the hell!?"

"I-I can't transform! I still have to defeat Annie!" Eren said, biting his hand again.

Eclaire grabbed Eren's wrist, stopping him from hurting himself even more.

"Stop it, Eren. You're just hurting yourself."

"But this is the only way!"

"Calm yourself down, first. Think about the people you want to protect. What's more important? Annie... or the lives of the people within these walls? Remember, we aren't outside right now. A titan- not just a regular mindless one, but one with the same intelect of a human being is within the walls. Think about it, Eren," Eclaire said, slowly letting go of Eren's hand.

"Don't pressure yourself too much and calmly weigh the importance of the matter. I know you can do it," Eclaire said, ruffling Eren's hair.

"My equipment got destroyed so I came here by foot. Help me lift this up," Eclaire said, gesturing to Armin and Mikasa. The three lifted a big chunk of the ceiling, revealing the three soldiers that were crushed underneath.

"Guh-" the blonde boy gagged at the gruesome sight.

As Mikasa and Armin lifted the rock out of the way, Eclaire quickly removed the equipment from one of the soldiers.

"Your death shall be remembered," Eclaire said, pulling the bodies out of the rubble.

Meanwhile, Eren sat silently, sorting out his thoughts.

"We have to hurry. It'll only be a matter of time before Annie finds us," Mikasa stated.

"But how? If we go out, she'll probably sense us, and if we stay, she'll probably just crush us!" Armin exclaimed.

Meanwhile, Annie continues to step on the ceiling, making huge holes with her giant foot, trying to randomly crush the people beneath the tunnel.

'If things go our way, we can escape once Eren transforms. But with Eren's current state, I'm afraid we have to think of a better plan of action,'  Eclaire thought to herself.

Eclaire was once again in a near-death predicament.

'I'm most certainly NOT afraid of my own death. But... more people are involved here. As the most experienced one here, they're probably relying on my plan- which is currently non-existent, and that itself is the problem. I can't think of anything! I don't want them to die here just because I'm being useless! I don't want to drag them to their deaths because of my irresponsibility as the adult here.

I don't want them to die.'

Overthinking - one of Eclaire's weaknesses. Most of the time, it was actually a good thing for Eclaire. But sometimes, overthinking creates a mental block to Eclaire, giving her a lot of stress, and a lack of focus. It makes her hesitate. In this case, it fills her mind with worry and anxiety. 

Too much stress is very bad for a person. And now because of this, Eclaire suddenly blacked out.

Eclaire

Its dark. I can't see anything. It wasn't very silent, though. A big boom was heard, followed by a lot of rumbling, as if there was an earthquake.

Am I dead? Am I dreaming?

Who knows.

All I know is I have lost the ability to control my body.

Moments later, light entered my eyes.

Somehow, everything seems clear.

Whatever lucid dream this is, I don't really like it.

After all, all I'm seeing is destruction everywhere. And I'm seeing this cause of it right now... the Female Titan, also known as Annie Leonhart.

It feels like somewhere on top of a building based on my point of view. Still, I can't move any part of my body.

And without any signal form my brain, my arm moved on its own, throwing a punch on the Female Titan.

It also seems as if I'm as tall as her... or maybe a bit taller?

My arm looks a bit bare, considering my clothes were fully intact before...

Wait... as tall as her- in her TITAN form, and BARE arms? I can't believe I'm actually dreaming of myself in titan form.