Chapter 25.

Alexa's P.o.v.

I braced myself for it. I mean, a few seconds ago, I felt like I had a right to know. I demanded to know what the hell happened that made them live the way they did. I was sure I wanted to know. I was convinced I was ready for it. But...was i? I mean, this was someone's life that we were talking about. Actually, not one but two lives. Their life history. A part of me couldn't help but feel like I was invading their space. Like I was intruding something private.

Whatever. I shook that thought aside. I deserved to know. My whole life was on the line. On the outside, I acted cool, calm and collected. I even cracked jokes to Martin to kind of steer him off from thinking about my wellbeing. I appeared composed. But in truth, I was scared shitless. What would happen now? What was I going to do? I had a sibling that lived in New York. He was far yes, but he still deserved to know where I was. And Lohan. My heart literally broke when I thought about her. What would happen to our friendship? Would we still see each other? Would we still be in each other's lives? Or would she just disappear from my life completely?

And school? College? I wanted a career. I wanted to make something beautiful out of my life. That's why I was in college pursuing Psychology. I wanted to be a psychologist and help people, and later, pursue Public Relations, because I just absolutely love it and I wanna own my own firm. But as I thought about all that, I felt tears sting my eyes.

Was all that still going to happen? Was I going to have a career and be successful? I knew the answer to that question. Of course not. Hell, I wouldn't eve make it past college alive, that's for sure.

Why? Why did this have to happen to me?

"Are you...okay?" Jessica startled me and brought me back to planet earth. She had furrowed her eyebrows and looked at me questioningly.

"Just out with it," I muttered, shaking my head.

She nodded then began, "as you know Martin and I are step siblings. Martin's dad had an affair with my mother, and she gave birth to me. But by that time, our dad was already involved with...some dangerous activities. He was a drug addict and a thief, and he actually killed three people, which caused him to go to prison. Martin's mum was a maid in some rich man's house, so when his dad was convicted, him and his mum had nowhere to go. So the people they worked for took them in and she continued to work for them while they stayed there. These people were a family called the Forero's. They were and still, are a very powerful and wealthy family...and a very dangerous one as well. Martin grew up under Mr. Forero's wing and he was like a son to Mr. Forero. He took him to school and paid for everything he ever wanted. Everything was okay. Everything was fine. Until..." she paused, as she faced the floor. My breathe hitched in my throat. What? What happened?

"Hey...what's wrong?" I asked, but I instantly regretted it. Of course she was upset. This was something that happened to her brother. It was hard for her to talk about it to another person, much less a stranger. I took a deep breath. "It's okay. I'm...I'm here," I said slowly, not entirely sure what else to say.

Her head snapped back upwards to face me and she smiled. I smiled back, and nodded for her to continue. She pursed her lips and opened her mouth to say something, but snapped it shut once her eyes landed on something behind me.

"Martin," she spoke softly, and seconds later, he was in front of me, sitting next to Jessica on her bed. I hadn't even heard him walking to the door. How long had he been listening?

I turned to look at him, and I literally had to chew on my cheek to stop myself from breaking into a smile. He looked so beautiful. He had changed into a pair of sweats and a tight T-shirt, that seemed to be on the verge of tearing, due to the hardness and definition of his muscles. I had to lock my fingers together to stop myself from lurching for him and devouring his sexy self.