Chapter 9: Explain Yourself Kid

Spider Man’s Point of View

            Right now, Jade is standing, yelling at Fury.

            “Look, Patches, the trench coat and eye patch don’t scare me. You’re so called Avengers, are just like me. You’re just too blind to see it.” I smile at the last comment, oh the irony. Fury stands and walks out of the room. Jade stands there starring at the glass, and it seems like she’s staring at me, although I know she can’t see me. Fury walks back in the room with two very large men.

            “These men, Ms. Leiton, are your escorts to your cell.” He says gesturing to the agents. No.

            “Cell?” She chokes out. No, she won’t be able to handle this. They can’t put her into another cell. Moving forward, towards the glass, I lean on it to try and get closer and protect Jade.

            “You alright, kid?” I hear Tony ask behind me. 

            “They can’t do this to her,” I mumble, mainly to myself.

            “Why can’t they? She doesn’t exactly deserve a luxury suit.” Natasha says.

            “Because they can’t.” I say sternly, facing her.

            “Oh, I’m sure she’s been in a cell before, shouldn’t be that big a deal to her.” Captain Rogers says.

            “Precisely why they can’t put her in another one. Not when SHIELD cells look so much like her old one.” I get baffled looks from everyone, but I still push the door open and run out. I see Fury, the two agents, and Jade turn a corner. I pull my mask on and continue running as the many memories of me comforting Jade from nightmares she’s had about her past surface in my mind. I hear the door open and many bodies rushing out after me. Finally catching up, I see Fury holding Jade in his arms and saying he needs medics into his earpiece. Moving the other two agents out of the way, I go to pick up Jade. Putting my left arm under her legs and my right arm behind her back, Fury gladly lets me take her. Everyone reaches us, but come to a screeching halt when they see a passed out Viper in my arms. I look down at her as well. She seems so small and weak, but I know if she were conscious, Jade would refuse any help.

            “What happened?” I hear Steve ask.

            “Told you she couldn’t handle it.” I say dryly, still looking at her.

            “Well let’s get her to the infirmary. I don’t need an unconscious criminal on my shoulders.” Fury says walking the other way with the two agents.

            “She looks so helpless and innocent.” Clint says. I can imagine him having mixed emotions about Jade as well.

            “But she’s not.” Natasha quickly adds. Readjusting Jade in my arms, I begin walking towards the infirmary.

            “Make sure the doctor knows she’s there.” Hill says before trailing after Fury. I nod to her and push my way through the Avengers. They turn and follow me silently.

            “Peter, do you want me to ta-” Steve begins, but I cut him off.

            “No. No one is allowed to see or talk to her until she’s awake and well again.” I walk down the hallway, but still hear several feet following me.