Best Friends

July
3 weeks later
Friday
11:30 am

       "I don't know, I'm just saying I wouldn't even leave my pets with Gary Busey, much less my own children!" I argued with Joji as we stepped out of the elevator.
       "Well, I'm just saying, he seems like a fun guy." Joji replied.
       "I know you're just joking, but there's a little part of me that believes you're being serious, because you are the type of person that would think Gary Busey is a 'fun guy'." I laughed.
       Joji cracked a smile. We had been debating this ever since we started watching John Mulaney together. It had been about three weeks, almost a month, since we "made up" and it had been going really well. We had been taking things slow, like, really slow. Joji hadn't even been over to my apartment yet and I hadn't been over to his. I don't know why. I guess I was just kind of scared that if I were to be sitting on the couch with him or something with nobody else around I'd wanna skip all the steps leading up to "boyfriend/girlfriend". So, we've been going to parks, coffee shops, and really any place we could hang out in public.
       We had just gotten back from the old coffee shop I used to work at (I had since quit because I realized I didn't really enjoy it and I wanted to spend more time on my art). Today I felt like taking the next step. We stopped in front of my door, as our giggles died down. Joji was a about to turn around to unlock his door when I interrupted him,
       "Hey Joj, you wanna come inside? I can fix us lunch..." I paused, waiting for his answer. Gosh, I was so nervous. It really was like when we had just met.
       He smiled, "Sure, but how 'bout I cook? I had already bought a bunch of stuff to make dumplings, if you'd like that."
       "Yeah I actually really would! That is one thing I really miss...your dumplings were sooo good." I chuckled.
       "Oh, is that the only thing you miss?" He smirked.
       "Oh come on, you know all of the things that I miss..."
       Joji just nodded and turned to the door of his apartment to unlock it.
       "I'll be over in five with the ingredients." He said as he stepped inside.
       "Ok, I'll get everything ready."
       I stepped inside of my apartment and closed the door. I was thrilled!

1:30 pm

Joji and I sat on my couch absolutely stuffed. He made the best damn dumplings and I was looking forward to him being around more to cook...and maybe also just enjoying his company. We had a lot of fun cooking together, which made it hard for me to keep it just friendly, but I knew this was for the best. We're getting on really well and things aren't going extremely fast, like the first time we met. Over the last few weeks I've felt like we've really learned a lot more about each other than we ever have. We don't have to worry about being romantic and all of that, which leaves a lot more room for just talking and getting to know the person. At this point I feel like I'm ready for Joji to ask me out, but at the same time I still want to take it slow. Really, whenever Joji asks, I'll say yes. I scooted a little bit closer to him on the couch. Friends can sit close to each other, right? Joji didn't move, he just kept watching the TV. I turned my attention back to the TV, as well, when Joji finally moved.
"So my friends are having this 4th of July party and they said we're invited if you wanna come? I'd kinda like it if you'd go with me..." He trailed off and looked at me expectantly.
I paused for a moment to think. Was this Joji's way of "asking me out"? I really hoped it was.
"Joj, I'd love to go with you!" I replied as I smiled sweetly at him.
"Nice! So, uh, I was thinking that maybe this could be our first date...maybe." He rubbed the back of his neck. Fuck, I loved when he did that. He was so cute when he was nervous.
"I'd love for it to be." I smiled at him and looked into his eyes.
Joji leaned closer to me.
"You're so perfect...I don't know why I ever fucked things up in the first place." He leaned in closer.
I gulped. I knew what he was getting ready to do, but did I want it? Of course I did, but did I really want it. It just wasn't in our best interest. Before I could protest, Joji leaned into me so that his face hovered close to my ear. I could feel his breath on my ear and I shivered at Joji being so close to me. He whispered,
"I think you know that I want to kiss you right now. I want to so, so badly...among...other things." He let out a soft, deep chuckle. Fuck. "But, I won't do anything you don't want. Just tell me."
I could have melted into a puddle. He was really getting to me. I wanted nothing more than to just grab his face and kiss him, but I knew that I shouldn't.
"And I think you know that I want to kiss you right now, but I can't..." I said sadly, as I pulled my face away from his.
He looked a little saddened by this, but I could tell that he also understood.
"Thank you for being so considerate. I really like that...and hey, let's see how this date goes and who knows? Maybe you'll get a little kiss afterward..." I smiled at the ground and Joji smirked.
"I like the sound of that." He winked and then stood up. I stood up with him. "I better get back to my apartment, I've got some new music to work on."
"Ok, I'll let you go then. Promise to let me listen when you're done?"
"Promise."