Questioning Life

"You can see me?"

"Wait for what?" The girl looks stunned, hand half over her mouth, she looks like she might burst into tears at any moment.

"Hey hey, uh don't cry, what's wrong?" The girl goes to speak then glances around seemingly hesitant.

"We should go somewhere more private, you look weird." Excuse me? Did she just figuratively backhand me? Also, why would I go with a stranger? The last time I did that nothing good happened. Yet, curiosity killed the cat-but you know what they saw, satisfaction brought it back- and I have nothing better to do at the moment so...alright. Actually, now that she mentions it, a few people are staring at me like I've done something wrong. Lmao but what new. People really haven't changed.

The girl begins to saunter off towards a more closed off location in the city, but there are still people around. I could call for help if I wanted to.

"Do you feel better now?" I turn to the girl, why was she asking me that? She's the one who wanted to move away.

"Um, yeah? Shouldn't I be asking you that though?" The girl smiles at me, it's a sombre smile like she's carrying a heavy-weight and she's trying to lift it all by herself.

"There's no need to ask, I thought you were uncomfortable being in a place with only me. So having people around would help you feel better." This girl was weird, I can't think of any other word to describe her.

"So, what's wrong?" I decided to ask my original question once more. The girl turns away from me, looking towards the concrete below us or maybe she's looking at something else I dunno. I can't really put myself in her shoes? Is she even wearing any? I look down at her feet, huh turns out she is.

"A lot of things are going wrong right now but I don't know if I should be asking you to help." The girl smiles again, barely present, she looks upset but I'm emotionally dysfunctional and have no idea what I'm even supposed to do doing.

"Please live your life Ceil, you've earned it." The girl turns away from me completely and begins to walk away back into the crowded streets. I stand there stunned, my brain starting to process what just happened. A feeling surges through me like something was wrong with what she said but I can't put my finger on it. There was something that was bugging me, actually, a lot of it bugs me but there's something specific. I begin to run through the conversation we had in my mind once again, the girl was obviously troubled and didn't want me, of all people to help. Suddenly two things in my mind click. Two very strange things that she had said.

She asked me if I could see her earlier

She knew my name and seemed to know me

What was going on here? Have I met her before? I think I would remember someone like her, I mean, you don't see brown to green hair every day. Unless she dyed it after I met her, still though, I don't recognise her at all. I didn't even ask for her name. I face-palm, good going Ceil, you had like one job. Now, what should I do? Can I even go after her now? She disappeared into the streets, the likelihood of me finding her is like...a small number out of a.... uh... big number? I should leave it, I don't know the girl and I don't have to help her...but I sort of want to. I sigh and begin walking back to my so-called apartment...I really need to get us a better living space.

"Haskell, I'm back!" I shut the door behind me with my foot, because it looks cooler. I look around but don't see any sign of them anywhere.

"Haskell?" They don't answer...alright Ceil don't panic, they're probably playing a prank on you that's all. I continue to look around when I feel something grasp my hand. Instincts kick in and I go to hit whatever touched me but before I full on backhand the thing, I see Haskell grasping my hand.