Chapter 4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone can have a hard time without you knowing it 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riley and Kayla walked into school on the first day. They had recently moved here and they had no friends. Riley looked at his sister and noticed her shaking, he grabbed her hand and they walked into the building. Everyone was running around and shouting at each other, everything was overwhelming. They reached their class and sat down, everyone that came in eyed the new kids out and didn't speak to them except one.

"Hey, new kids alert!" Justin said. He laughed at the two's silence and turned to his friends to talk. The class started and throughout the lesson, Justin started throwing paper balls at their heads. Kayla put her head down and stopped paying attention, she didn't notice a new boy that was late and had just come in.

"Mr. Wilson, why are you so late?" The teacher asked the student, the boy shrugged and moved to his seat next to Riley. He smiled at them and faced forward.

After class Kayla and Riley moved away to the cafeteria, Sam walked up to them and walked with them.

"Do you want to sit with me at my table?" Sam asked. Riley nodded and pulled his sister with him.

Kayla woke up startled, it was an unfamiliar room. She got up and looked at her clothes, last night's memories came through her mind and she calmed down a bit knowing she is safe. She left the room and walked into the hallway to the smell of breakfast. She smiled as she turned the corner, to find Sam cooking breakfast.

"Hey," Kayla said, scaring Sam. He jumped and turned around with his hand on his heart and laughing. 

"Kayla! You scared me!" Sam said Kayla jumped back a bit, scared of his outburst. Sam noticed but didn't say anything. "Well breakfast is almost ready." Sam set the table as Kayla took over the cooking.

"Sam? Why are you setting for 4 people?" Kayla asked, no one else was staying at his house.

"I have two friends coming over, I am helping them with something. You are welcome to help them with me." Kayla nodded and carried on with breakfast.

Just then there was a knock on the door, Sam got up and opened the door. The door people came in and saw Kayla working in the kitchen. Kayla smiled as they came through the door and sat down at the table in front, the two people looked a bit bruised.

"Sam. Is this Kayla?" The red-head asked. Kayla smiled at Sam and dished up the breakfast.

"Yes, she's back." Kayla shyly waved at the familiar man in front of her. 

"This is Kayla, the one you talk about a lot." The red-head asked, clearly trying to tease Sam.

"Ohh, Sammy you talk about me?" Sam looked down and laughed a bit, the red-head and blond came up and stood before Kayla.

"Hi. I'm Natasha and this is Steve." Everything clicked in her head, she recognised the man from the hospital. 

Kayla smiled and handed them their plates and they sat down at the table and ate. Steve and Sam were talking about their missing person while the girls talked about everything. Sam and Steve got the plates and washed them while the girls continued to talk. 

When it was time for Steve and Natasha to leave, Natasha left her phone number for Kayla. Natasha noticed that Kayla was a bit scared of Steve and Sam but didn't say anything. When they left Kayla went to change but realized that she didn't have any clothes.

"Sam! Do you have a shirt for me to borrow." Kayla shouted to Sam, she could hear his laughter throughout the house. Sam opened the door a bit and threw the shirt at her.

"Natasha needs to take you shopping," Sam said as he shut the door. Kayla also realized that she needed a new phone, as Nick has her phone number and can track her down. Kayla left the room and found Sam on the sofa on his laptop.

"Can I borrow your phone?" Sam nodded and tossed his phone at her, Kayla caught it and almost threw it back at him but realized that he isn't Nick. She opened the phone and messaged Natasha.

To Natasha: Hey Natasha, it's Kayla. I was wondering if we could go shopping sometime? I have no clothes and Sam is being an ass and not taking me. :)

From Natasha: Sure, I'm coming tomorrow morning be ready. Tell Sam I called him an ass. :)

Kayla chuckled and tossed the phone back at Sam and went upstairs to put shoes on, she was wearing socks at that point. She put her shoes on and went for a walk around New York. Sam ran up to her and they walked around again before stopping for ice cream.

The next morning, Natasha came as promised and picked Kayla up. Kayla was wearing the same pants and one of Sam's shirts. She climbed in and they moved to the shops.

"Okay, what do you need?" Natasha asked, keeping her eyes on the road.

"Everything and a phone." Natasha chuckled and shopped at the mall. They stopped to get clothes: shirts, shorts, underwear, and shoes. They stopped by a dress shop because Natasha is a friend of Tony's and there are a lot of parties so she needed a dress. They bought 2 dresses and left. A phone was the last thing they got. They stopped by a cafe and bought a coffee.

"Where are all your clothes and a phone?" Natasha asked as she stirred her coffee. Kayla looked down at her coffee and stayed silent. It was silent for a while before Kayla spoke up.

"I uhh left them back in California," Kayla said, she knew she could trust Natasha but she knew if she started to speak she wouldn't stop.

"Kayla, you might not know me very well, but I know there is something going on." Kayla was taken back as to how good Natasha is about reading people. Kayla sighed and looked her in the eye.

"I had a boyfriend that.... you know. So I left two nights ago." Kayla said quickly. Natasha sighed and put her hand on the smaller girl's, she sent her a comforting smile. "And you? You seem a bit closed off."

"Well I am an Avenger and your friend helped me out earlier this year with saving the world," Natasha said and Kayla instantly recognized her as Black Widow.

"Sam is going to be in shit. He never told me about him saving the world."

Edited 10/12/2019