Twenty Nine

Two days. That was all the time they had left to prepare. Dae had scoured every corner of the internet that had mentions of what she was or people crossing over. There was not guide for how this was supposed to work. She couldn't just run to the bookstore and pick up a copy of Crossing Over for Dummies. She had searched and that wasn't a thing. Instead, she laid in the middle of her bedroom floor staring up at the ceiling. 

"You have to get up eventually," Tae plopped down beside her. "You've been laying here for hours. I doubt this is good for your back." 

Dae glanced at him from the corner of her eye. "My back isn't the problem." 

Tae sighed before stretching out as well. "Alright, then what's the problem?" 

She went over dozens of scenarios in her head. She wasn't sure which one bothered her the most or how to put them into words. 

"Talk to me. I can't help if you don't tell me what the problem is," he nudged her. 

"What if I'm not strong enough? What if all of this time has been wasted looking into this because I'm not strong enough to help you guys?" 

Tae considered it for a moment. It was possible but he had faith in her. He had no doubts about her ability. "Then it doesn't work. Simple. Either we would continue to be stuck here or if worse comes to worse, you could overshoot it and use all of your energy. You'd be stuck with us." 

Her eyebrows rose and her eyes widened. "I could die?" she yelled. That wasn't something they had discussed with her. It wasn't a possibility she had even considered. "I just turned twenty-one! I'm too young to die!" She sat up and started to run her hands through her hair. It was a nervous habit she had picked up from Namjoon. 

"Would that really be so bad? I mean.. I don't want you to die, not anytime soon, but think about it. You'd get to stay with us if the worst possible outcome happens." 

She dropped her face into her hands. It was a lot to consider at the moment. 

Tae sighed. This was exactly why Yoongi had told him not to bring this up. "If it makes you feel better, this is why we are waiting for the day we died instead of your birthday. This way you'll be using our energy as well and not just yours. You'll be safe, I promise." He reached out slowly and brushed her hair back from her face so she would look back at him. "Besides, you still have a lot left to live for." 

Dae peeked between her fingers at him. It was confusing to her that only a few words had managed to calm her down so quickly. "Thanks," she whispered. 

It was Tae's turn to be confused. "For what? I'm just being honest with you." 

"For comforting me. For being here and taking the time to worry about me when you have so much more to worry about," she confided. 

His lips stretched up in a half smile. "You're taking a chance for us. That's more than most of the people in our lives ever did. I don't know if the other two have really expressed it yet, but we're grateful and we appreciate this more than we can say. You're setting us free, Dae." 

She was not going to get emotional. Not now. She had spent the entire evening going over ever possible outcome without getting emotional. A few sweet words were not going to push her over the edge. "It's what friends do," she whispered instead. 

"Again, look at it this way, if worst comes to worst, we can harass Yoongi together for the rest of eternity," Tae grinned. 

"Absolutely not! She is too young to be making that kind of commitment to anyone and she still has her studies," Jin interrupted from the doorway. "Now both of you need to rest." 

Dae erupted in a fit of laughter the moment the door slammed shut. 

"Way to kill such a sincere moment," Tae laughed. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted a soft chapter, sorry!