PART 1 - Scene 1 - The TARDIS

(Opening titles)

The TARDIS. The ship drifts in the outer reaches of deep space, spinning towards its next stop in time and space. The red and yellow coloured time rotor, carefully contained in the glass, spins gently holding the TARDIS in flight as the engines wine and rise and simmer. The coat stand holds the Doctor's floppy hat, as well as several old jackets worn by the Doctor, such as his short red jacket the Fourth Doctor wore at the start of his life. The green trench coat and the darker coat hangs on the rack, as well as the Third Doctor's eccentric Victorian brown coat. Another hat is sat on the rising and falling time rotor eccentrically. K-9, the cute robot dog that everybody loves, wheels around, ensuring the TARDIS operate properly. His tail is down, obviously unhappy or bored. Leela enters, seemingly confused.

Leela:

K-9?

K-9:

Mistress?

Leela:

Do you know where the Doctor is?

K-9:

Negative mistress Leela.

Leela:

I see. Where are we exactly?

She wonders around the console.

K-9:

We have left your solar system now mistress.

Leela:

Well, at least we're away from Pluto and those seaweed things. I'll find him.

She leaves K-9 again. Now, Leela wonders confused and lose down the TARDIS corridors. It doesn't help that it all seems the same to her. Poking her head into the boot cupboard, she calls out loudly.

Doctor? Doctor?

Doctor:

In here.

Leela:

Where's here?

Doctor:

Keep coming down the corridor and I'm first on your left.

She follows his instructions. Leela enters the first from on her left, opening the door to reveal the second TARDIS console room. Wooden, quiet, lonely, she enters in. The Doctor is leaning on the console, watching the scanner as the TARDIS wonders through the fourth universe. The savage seems surprised to be back in the old console room, and why the Doctor seems lonely and quiet, deep in thought and almost like he is mentally depressed.

Leela:

Doctor?

Doctor:

Come in. Shut the door will you, Leela?

She shuts it and approaches the Doctor sensitively.

Leela:

You alright, Doctor?

Doctor:

Hmmm? I'm always alright.

Leela:

Its just rather strange why you are back in here. Do you want to come back in here?

Doctor:

No, no. That console room is perfectly fine.

Leela:

Then why are you in here?

Doctor:

I'm thinking Leela. About the future. About, what is to come.

Leela:

Something upsetting you?

Doctor:

In a way. You know, ever since we left Pluto I have had this terrible feeling about my future. About my own people on Gallifrey.

Leela:

You're home planet?

Doctor:

Yes. The mightiest and most noble race in the entire universe.

Leela:

Well, its not like you to be so somber about it. It must be something more.

Doctor:

It is. Have I ever told you about the Daleks?

Leela:

No.

The Doctor takes in a deep breath of air, remembering the fear and terror of the Daleks.

Doctor:

The Daleks – are my oldest and most dangerous enemies. They originally came from the planet Skaro and created by the evil genius Davros.

Leela:

What is a Dalek like?

Doctor:

A war machine. Inside those shells is a living, bubbling creature with all of its emotions removed except hate.

Leela:

And they fight wars and battles and things like that?

Doctor:

Oh yes. Their battle against the entire universe. To wipe out all life form non-Dalek and establish themselves as the supreme beings.

Leela:

But, why would anything want to destroy anything that is simply not like them?

Doctor:

Because they are different. The Dalek views them as inferior. For centuries now the Daleks have terroised and exterminated millions and millions life forms all across the galaxy.

Leela:

So why should these Daleks bother you now?

Doctor:

Some while ago now, my own people summoned me back to Skaro at the days where the Daleks had first been created. That was when I first met Davros. And I may have only set them back, say, one thousand years.

Leela:

Go on.

Doctor:

My mission was to stop the development of the Daleks. And that was the only option I was left to, delay it. And recently, I have had this terrible feeling that at some point, in the future, that the Daleks will find out the truth to why I was their at the creation of the Daleks. And then the Daleks will wipe out Gallifrey and the Time Lords.

Leela:

How do you know this?

Doctor:

I don't. But its been on my mind for a long time now. And I can't shake it off. Almost as though I am predicting it.

Leela:

You should not dwell on superstition, Doctor. The past, present or future cannot be altered.

Doctor:

No, it can't.

Leela:

But you're a Time Lord though, aren't you?

Doctor:

I know I'm a Time Lord. I'm not a human being, I walk in eternity.

Leela:

Yes, Doctor. But why worry about it? Come back into the old control room and forget about these strange superstitions of yours.

Doctor:

Yes. And now it is just a matter of time before they show up again.