Chapter Nineteen : BitterSweet .

Marshall Lee's Point of View

- 10 years after Gumball's death -

I smile as soon as I see him run to me , I gently open my arms to catch him from falling ; I giggle as I lift him up and kiss his cheek lightly , his eyes sparkling as he stares into mine . " Daddy , let's go out to play " My son , Michael tells me as he pulls on my collar . I laugh as I snuggle him close , finally letting him down onto the ground . " Of course , sweetheart , give me just a minute " He runs off to the backyard to play , as I quickly go into my bedroom and close the door behind me .

Ever since Gumball's death , everything's been wonderful .. Obviously , I still miss him very much . But , everything turned out okay in the end ; of course , I did suffer from anxiety and depression at first , but with the help of Butterscotch Butler and everyone else , I conquered it and now I'm all better . I read Gumball's letter everyday , it's a way of feeling some connection with him . I remember Gumball always telling me he wanted a family , he always wanted to have a family with me , he wanted two boys , Michael and Jackson ; we always talked about it , but his hopes of it kinda died when we found out about his cancer . But , I always wanted to make it happen for him .. so , I did ; I adopted two beautiful boys and named them exactly what he wanted them to be named ; ever since they came into my life , my whole world changed . Every time I look at both of them , I think of him and I immediately feel at peace with the world .

I go into my closet and slowly pull the photo album Gumball left me , as I open it up carefully . Gumball told me to fill this up with happy pictures , with things that made me happier and better ; I smile down as I see a bunch of pictures with Gumball , tears rolling down both of my cheeks ; these are happy tears , don't worry . After turning a few pages , I meet with my side of the photo album ; Gumball left half of this photo album for me , and that's exactly what I did . I smile as I stare down at my pictures with the boys , with Butterscotch Butler and all of the others .

I never moved on from Gumball . He was my first and only love , and I don't feel the need to have anyone else by my side , except the kids ; they're all I need in this world . And I know , someday , we will all meet up with Gumball and be the family we always wanted to have . I close the book as I sigh out , taking in all these bittersweet moments . I wipe my tears away and go back outside , bumping into Jackson as I make my way out of the room . " Oops , sorry , dada ! " His little self says , as I lift him into my arms ; Michael is three years old , and Jackson is one and a half . I smother his cheeks in kisses as he lets out a squeal , I look him into the eyes and say " You wanna go play with your big brother ? " He claps both of his hands and nods , as I walk both of us out into the backyard as I find Michael swinging on the swings .

I did move out of the castle as soon as Gumball died , I knew I wouldn't be able to handle all the memories I had with and without him there .. Butterscotch Butler helped me look for a house and I finally got it , it's a walking distance from the castle , so she will be able to see the kids whenever she wanted . I know Butterscotch Butler has no business with me anymore , but she said she wanted to be the kids' grandmother , with or without Gumball here . It meant everything to me , and I kindly accepted her offer ; She is obsessed with both of them , and she helps me quite a lot . It's not easy being a single parent of two , but they make it all worth it .

I carefully sit Jackson down on his baby swing , and swing up lightly . Both of them giggle and laugh as they enjoy a warm and sunny afternoon with their dad . I look up at the sky and smile , knowing that Gumball is somewhere up there , watching over us . Gumball , my love , I hope you are proud of me .. and our baby boys . I miss you the most , but I'll see you someday .

I really am glad I conquered my depression and anxiety , it was the best thing I could've ever done . It took me about seven years to fully recover , and that's when I decided to adopt my boys and it helped me move on past this chapter of my life and start a new one . Gumball's death will not ever be forgotten , but I like to think it as a positive thing ; he was suffering so much , and he never deserved any of it .. it's better of this way , he's in a better place now and I know he's happy too , wherever he is .

" Daddy , what was Papa like ? " I breathe out as Michael asks about Gumball . I did tell them the full story about what happened , and they understood it really well ; when I was adopting , I wanted to find someone just like me .. Butterscotch Butler helped me out , and Michael and Jackson are both vampires , so they understand things better than humans . I smile at both of them and sit down on the grass , as they join me a second later .

" Papa was .. he was perfect , that's all I can really say " They both smile at me as they snuggle up against my torso , as I rub my hands over their little heads as they listen closely to the story " He was kind , he thought of others before himself , and I am lucky to have met him . " I kiss the top of their little heads as they drift off to sleep , and I can't keep myself from smiling .

Gumball , you always said you were the lucky one in our crazy world . I now know you were wrong , I'm the lucky one .. lucky enough to be loved by you .

" I love you so much , sweetheart . "

" I love you so much more , Marshall . See you soon "