Part 14

"Virgil Sanders," the king's voice booms around the room," as you wish to wed my only son, you must complete 10 tasks."

The king gives me a challenging glare, filling me with determination as he continues to speak. I can't tell if he's routing for me or is completely against me.

"Your first task will be archery," he finally gets to the point," make your way to the main court yard. Jeremiah is waiting for you and Anne."

"Anne? Who's she?" I enquire, giving him a confused look.

He leans forward, a devious smirk dancing on his lips,"The girl competing for Romans hand of course. Now hurry. There's not a moment to lose."  

-------------------------------------------

The court yard was a large, empty space outside of where double doors sat in their frames; it was overall well kept,apart from the ivy overgrowth climbing the great walls, with a couple of rose bushes around the edges of the pathway leading up to the doors. I glance over at the large gate to see three targets stood Infront of it and ,Infront of that, a girl around 17 and a man in his early to mid 20's.

The girl is short, slim and had long,caramel, silk-like hair. Her face is perfect; porcelain skin, beautiful, blue, ocean eyes and facial features constructed by gods. I feel like a tramp in comparison to her. Infact ,I'm sure I am. She's some form of royalty ,I'm assuming,and I'm a servant boy.

"You?," She says as she turns to look me up and down,"You're the one I'm competing with?"

"Yeah," I step closer to her, extending my hand for her to shake," I'm Virgil. You must be Anne."

"Pleasure to meet you,"she all of a sudden goes shy," are you sure you're in the right place? I'm here for prince Roman. You're a man."

"I was awear of both things," I chuckle a little,"I'm sure I'm in the right place."

We take our places opposite the targets, waiting for Jeremiah to come back with arrows.

"How do you know Roman will even want to wed you if you win?" She questions," I'm sure he's not... That way."

"Anne, with all due respect, how do you know he will want to wed you if you win?" I ask, a confident look on my face.

"Because... Because I'm a woman and he's a man," Anne states bluntly,"It's how it works, Virgil."

"But is it really though?" I say before Jeremiah comes back.

Picking up our bows, he hands up 3 arrows each, explaining that we get 1 practice run and three that contribute to our scores.
This is how scores worked:

Center: 60 points
Forth ring:50 points
Third ring:40 points
Second ring:30 points
Outer ring:20 points
Border: 10 points
Miss: 0 points

Person with most points wins.
Jeremiah takes score on a clipboard.

Anne was first up for her practice run after the older man's demonstration.
Drawing back the bow to her cheek, he aims and releases the arrow. 40 points. It's a good score but this is just the practice round. She collects her arrow before firing her three. The instructor wrote down her scores.

Anne       |         Virgil
_________|______________
50           |
60           |
30           |
Total      |   Total
140         |

She's good but I still can win. Even if I can't get this one, I'm sure I can beat her in other tasks.

I fire my first arrow. I missed. Sniggers come from both Jeremiah and Anne. Picking up my arrow from the floor, I reposition myself. I was thinking to much. I need to relax.

I take a deep breath in, drawing the bow back, the arrow to my cheekbone. Keeping my eye on the traget, I release. Not baring to look, I close my eyes before building up the courage to face what it was: 50.

After sighing, I draw and fire twice more.

Anne       |         Virgil
_________|______________
50           | 50
60           | 40
30           | 60
Total      |   Total
140         | 150

The game is on.