Chapter 8

*Gabby's POV*

I was a little scared to go by myself but I would rather have all of my friends have someone and be safe then have one of them go alone. I didn't run because I wasn't going to risk being heard since I was alone. It was so dark that I could barely even see my feet in front of me. That's when I had a good idea. I pulled my phone out and use it as a flashlight to help me see. I looked my phone and saw that I didn't have any service so there goes my second idea.

I walked into math class and went straight to work. I tried to put my phone in my mouth but it didn't work. I quickly decided to look in the cabinet for a flashlight of some sort. I reached up and grabbed a small and skinny, dark blue flashlight. I turned it on quickly and stuck it in my mouth so that I could use both of my hands to look.

I ran to the desk and yanked the drawer open. "Papers, papers, papers..." I whispered as I shoved the graded tests, quizzes, and homework assignments aside. 'Where did they hide it?' I thought as I began to panic a little. I looked in the students' desks and all over the floor. Nothing. I stood up and ran out of the room into the Journalist classroom. I threw the books off of the shelves and ran my hand across the top. All I was able to collect was dust on my hand. I ran to the other side of the room, looking through books and papers.

I flipped through Shakespeare, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Scarlet Letter. I felt like I was wasting so much time. The books were at least a hundred pages long each and I made sure I looked at everypage. Front and back. I flew through the pages of To Kill a Mockingbird and The Scarlett Letter. The I stood face to face with Shakespeare. "I hate this." I muttered as I grabbed the huge book. It took me at least five minutes until I finally made it to page 300. I groaned from frustration and anger. I felt like curling into a ball and crying but that wouldn't help me in any way. I continued to flip through the pages and I finally found a small silver key on page 1000.

I quickly grabbed it and ripped it off of the page. "Yes!" I exclaimed. The flashlight fell out of my mouth and broke on the floor and I wasn't able to see. Then I heard footsteps coming from ouside the hall and I began to panic. I quickly ran to the closet and squeezed myself in and closed the door. All I could hear were his footsteps and my heavy breathing. He came closer and closer until finally the doors in the small closet that I was in began to jiggle.