Chapter 15

*Janet's POV*

I could hear the footsteps outside. I tried my best to slow my breathing, but it was hard. I could barely get the fresh air that was right outside of the metal closet. They stopped and my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. I wrapped my arms around Caleb for comfort. I felt him tense, but I was too afraid to let go of him. Thankfully he relaxed and held me close to comfort me.

We waited for a couple of minutes and listened to the footsteps wandering around in the room. 'Does he know where we are?' I wondered as I continued to hold Caleb in my arms nervously. We need to get of here quickly. "D-do you think we can attack him and get out?" I whispered to Caleb. "What?!" He whispered. I sighed and started to let go of him. I moved my hand around to see if I can find anything to hit the man with. "Do you have a pocket knife?" I asked Caleb as he stiffened up again. "I think I have it." He said. He released me and reached into his pocket. "N-no I don't have it." He finally said after he checked all of his pockets. I sighed and let my head hang. We waited for a while until we heard his footsteps leave the room.

We both let out a sigh of relief and slowly opened the metal doors, letting the oxygen in the room fill our lungs. It felt amazing to have fresh air.  We stepped out of the closet and exchanged looks. It was so awkward. I didn't know what to say. I smiled quickly and then turned away to look around the room. It looked like we were in English class. The doors made a loud echo as they slammed shut. I quickly turned around to look at Caleb. He stood in shock and we heard footsteps coming our way again.

"We need to hide!" I whispered as I got under the teacher's desk. I rested my back against the small wall behind me and watched Caleb do the same. We held our breath as we heard footsteps enter the dark room. My heart raced and I covered my mouth to keep from screaming as tears ran down my cheeks. Caleb sat next to me, with obvious fear in his eyes. I knew that the desk couldn't hide us for much longer and that's what scared me the most. The footsteps came closer and they grew louder by the second. I held my breath once I heard the man's footsteps stop. Caleb and I exchanged looks as we sat frozen under the desk. I looked up, trying to listen to the man's actions. Then a gloved hand grabbed the edge of the desk and the man's bloody mask appeared in front of me. He stared at us and chuckled, "Found you."