Chapter 13

*Emily's POV*

"Ace!" I yelled as I threw the box off of me. The flames waved around and made a wall that separated me and Ace. He threw the box off of him and coughed. "E-Emily can you get out of here?" He asked. "If I jump over the flames I may be able to get out." I said. He sighed and nodded. "I want you to get out of here as soon as possible. Leave without me." He said. 'What?!'

"Wh-what about you?!" I asked him, surprised. He made eye contact with me. He looked so serious and he looked very intimidating.

"I'll be fine." He said. "N-no you won't." I snapped. "I will find a way to get myself out of here." He said. Looking around at the flames it didn't seem like what he said was possible. 'He can't be serious.' I thought. I looked away from him and saw the flames growing bigger and spreading towards my direction.

"Go." He commanded me. "No! Like I said I'm not going to leave-" "I DIDN'T ASK YOU! GET OUT OF HERE!" He snapped. My eyes widened and I jumped at the sound of his voice. He is scary when he is angry. He stared at me above the flames and his expression was full of determination and anger.

I felt my face burn but it was probably because of the flames. Yeah, the flames. He coughed and took his jacket off. "Here." He said as he threw it to me. I looked at him, completely confused. "Put it over your mouth and nose. I want you to be able to breathe." He said. "What about you?" I asked. "I'll be fine." He said as he took off his shirt to cover his nose and mouth. 'IT IS DEFINITELY THE FLAMES THAT IS MAKING ME FEEL HOT RIGHT NOW!' I convinced myself.

"Now go." He muffled. I nodded and turned towards the flames in front of me. They got bigger and the jump that I had to make was lengthened. I took a deep breath into his jacket and let it out. 'I can do this.' I encouraged myself. I stared at the flames and closed my eyes. 'Just do it, Emily! You are supposed to be tough not weak!' I yelled to myself. I took a deep breath again and then leaped through the air.

I landed at least three centimeters in front of the flames. I let out a sigh of relief and stood up. I looked over my shoulder at Ace. 'Should I leave him?' I thought. I stood still and sighed. "What are you doing?" He asked. "I'm staying!" I said as I turned to look at him. 'The flames are really burning my body right now.' I thought. "What?!" He asked shocked. "Im not leaving you, Ace!" I yelled over the crackling sounds of the flames. He sighed and shook his head.

"Come on!" I yelled. He looked up at me and back down at the flames. His jump was definitely way bigger than mine. "Just jump! I'll catch you!" I told him. He looked up at me as if I were a maniac. "Ace I'm being serious!" I told him. He took and deep breath and let it out. He backed up just a little bit and jumped.

It seemed as if time had stopped. I stared into his eyes and saw pure fear in them. I reached forward for him and I caught him. Well kind of. He landed on top of me and I stuggled to breath. He caught his breath and then held it. I looked up at his face and he seemed surprised and scared. His face went completely red and I felt his heart beat. Or was it mine?

I stared at him for a while. He was actually kind of- No! "If you don't get off of me I am going to punch you in the face." I managed to say. He got up without hesitation and offered to help me up. "S-sorry about that." He said. I stood up and dusted myself off. "It's alright. I'm just glad we both lived." I said. He nodded and we exited the room. I took in as much fresh air as I could and let it out. I didn't think that fresh air would feel so good in my lungs.

I looked over at Ace as he threw his shirt back on. We were both sweating like crazy. "That was too close to death for my liking." He said. I giggled a little bit but caught myself. 'There is no time for jokes, Emily' I told myself. My facial expression turned serious. "We need to find the others." I said. He nodded. "I know, but what help would we be if we don't have the key? If we all got together that would be a much bigger risk than this." He said. He wasn't lying. "So what do we do?" I asked. "Find the key and then find the others." He said. I nodded. "And also stay alive." He said nervously. I held back a small giggle and nodded. "Let's go." I said.