Three - Retirement

Titan II, The Garden - Space

2018

With a grunt, Adonia pulled with all her might, aiming to pull the gauntlet from Thanos's arm.  However, the charred piece of armour seemed seared to his arm, like another skin, and despite her super-strength as a cosmic being, it did not budge the slightest.

She stumbled back, losing her hold.  "Yes, it's stuck. I'm sorry, My Love, but there is only one other way-" She drew a dagger, bursting into a fit of hearty laughter moments later at the look of pure horror that crossed his face.  "I'm only kidding! You didn't actually think I would chop your arm off, did you?" She waved the blade in the air as she spoke, however. She was known to have a dark sense of humour at times, which evidently hadn't changed. With one final chuckle, she stabbed the knife into the table top and left, patting the still-startled Titan on the chest.

Later that night, while Thanos slept, Adonia crept to his bedside.  Luckily, the way he was sleeping, his arm baring the Gauntlet - and Stones - was facing upwards; his injured arm must have been painful to sleep on.

She reached out a hand and held it hovering above the Gauntlet.  The Stones began to hum and glow brighter, and appeared as though they might just remove themselves from the Gauntlet and fall into her awaiting hand.

They did not, however, get the chance, as Thanos shifted in his sleep, startling her and breaking her concentration and connection to the Stones. Her Stones.

She gave a frustrated sigh.  "You're traitors, all of you!" she hissed.  She wasn't only speaking to the Stones.

-------------------------------------

It was only a few days into 'retirement' and Adonia was already bored to death. That, and being distanced from the Stones but having them in sight and so close was growing on her nerves. They were so close, and yet still just out of reach. It was taunting, and she hated it.

"Ugh, that's it, I'm done! I cannot do this anymore!" Thanos turned to look at her from where he was harvesting plants in the garden. "You are the possessor of the Infinity Stones, the most powerful objects in the universe! You have the entire universe at your fingertips and yet, you choose this."

"You always loved the Garden."

"I did. I do. But we used to have such fun. You didn't used to be this boring."

"I am not boring," he defended himself. She only shrugged. He chuckled. "Ah, I have missed you, My Love."

"And I you."

"You know the last hundreds of years without you has been torture."

She nodded. "It was terrible for me too."

He stood up from kneeling in the garden. "Were you at all conscious to the world during that time?"

"Slightly, sometimes. I sensed some things. Like our daughters betraying you-" She didn't miss how he flinched at this, but she didn't realize then that it was not just the mention of their betrayal. "-Everything became clearer the closer to gaining all the Stones you got. The closer they were, the more conscious I became, until, finally - here I am."

"Yes, finally, at long last, here you are." He drew her close to him.

She leaned against him, into his embrace. "So, where did you find them all? Where did they all end up?"

"The Power Stone became the Orb and was locked away on Xandar, being guarded by the Nova Corps. The Space Stone became the Tesseract, and was stolen by an Asgardian, a foolish boy I once trusted. I killed him."

"Of course you did. You always were formidable."

"The Mind Stone had, at one time, been the source of power for a staff I built, but was being used as a life force for a machine. And the Reality Stone became the Aether and was being kept in the collection of your old friend, Tanneleer Tivan."

"Of course."

"I think he was trying to collect them all and bring you back himself."

"Perhaps. Tivan was known for being selfish, but he could also be sincere at times..." She trailed off with a fond smile that Thanos didn't like being associated with the Collector.

"And the Soul Stone?"

This question of hers caught him. There was a pause before he explained. "The Soul Stone I found on Vormir."

"Vormir?" She shrugged. "Well, it doesn't matter now. All that matters is that they are together once again, yes? As are we."

"Yes." He was more than glad she did not press further about Vormir.

"But you see, as I said, you have all this power - power of the gods, of the very universe itself - and yet you decide to spend your time farming."

"My Quest was to retrieve the Stones and use them to correct the universe and bring you back. That was all. Now, they offer nothing more than temptation."

"Ah." She nodded, understanding full well what he meant. "I told you many times before that they could be a burden bestowed upon whoever obtained them. The more power one has, the greater the consequences. And with power such as this, well..." She trailed off. "The consequences are as great as the power itself."

(Adonia really wants the Stones back, and is being oh so subtle about it ;)

Whew, this story is super complicated! ;D Sorry it's taking me so long to update, I'm just having trouble merging the beginning of the movie with my ideas, but I think I've got it now!

Hopefully updates will be more regular now! Thanks for your patience and for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :)

And thank you so much for the 600+ reads (that's amazing!))