Fifteen - Battlefield Reunion

Avengers Facility, Upstate New York - Earth

2023

"Steve - you lose this again, and I'm keeping it." Tony held up Cap's shield, kneeling over his fallen teammate. He held the shield out to Steve. "Come on, get up, Buddy. That's my man." He helped Steve to his feet.

"What happened?" Steve asked, surveying the damage. All that was left of the Avengers Facility and the area around it was rubble and dark wasteland.

"Like Adoni - Adonia? Like Adonia said, you mess with the elements, they tend to mess back. We messed with time, now its messing back at us."

"It sure is one hell of a mess."

"Yeah, sure is." Tony spoke into the radio.  "Where is everyone? Does anyone have eyes on my pregnant girlfriend? Kass, Honey, you there?" No answer, only static.

Meanwhile, Thanos had descended down from his ship and now stood amongst the rubble himself. 2014 Envy, still his loyal personal guard at this point, stood at his side, blade in hand.

"So this is the future," Thanos stated, surveying the barren, destroyed landscape around him.

"Pitiful," said Envy. 

2014 Nebula, the Nebula they knew, strode up to them proudly. "Father."

"Daughter. Well done."

"Thank you, Father. They suspected nothing. They didn't even notice."

"The arrogant never do." Thanos stabbed one end of his double-bladed sword into the ground, then removing his helmet and setting the piece of armour atop the weapon. Then he sat beside them on some rubble. "Go, find the Stones. Bring them to me."

"Yes Father." Nebula bowed her head. "And what will you do?"

"Wait."

"For what?"

"For whatever comes."

"Well done, Sister," sneered Envy.  Nebula only scowled back before disappearing back into the rubble that just minutes ago was the Avengers Facility building.

"Ready the fleet," Thanos ordered Envy.

"Father." She bowed her head and headed back to the ship.  

Steve and Tony found Thor amongst the damage.  They joined him where he was standing on a slight hillside, watching over Thanos.

"What's he been doing?" asked Tony.

"Absolutely nothing. Just sitting there."

"Where are the Stones?" asked Steve.

"Somewhere under all this, with the rest of the team and Stone Lady," said Tony. "No one's answering.  But he definitely doesn't have them."

"Good, then let's keep it that way."

"Agreed."

"You know it's a trap, right?" said Thor.

"Yeah, but I don't much care," replied Tony.

"Good. Just so long as we're all in agreement..." There was a crackle of thunder and a flicker of lightning overhead as Thor summoned his armour as well as Stormbreaker and the Mjolnir he had retrieved from Asgard in 2013. "Now, let's kill him properly this time."

"Also agreed."

All suited up, armed, and ready, the trio began slowly approaching where Thanos sat.