Chapter 1

They say that all of us are truly afraid of something. You canʼt really stop being afraid of something by pretending everything that scares you isnʼt there.

This is my world. A world where you live in constant fear, at least in my eyes, it was.

Today was finally the day that I was going to face my fears. Although, thereʼs no doubt that if I had a choice, I would have chosen to avoid them.

Today was the day I come face to face with the vampires. Truth be told, humans had discovered about the existence of vampires years ago and was able to get along with them "normally", as they say it, but in my eyes, it was nowhere close to being normal.

The fact that we breathe and live in the same world as them wasnʼt right. The fact that we, weak humans had to obey their every command wasnʼt right.

The fact that we humans look up to the same people who kill and abuse our kind for their own pleasure wasnʼt right. And the fact that they had the right to choose an innocent human girl every year to be their "soul mate", or shall I say, their personal blood-bag was sickening and wrong beyond words.

None of this felt right. Yet my people praise and follow their every command. Why? You could say that half of them wanted power. After all, if a human was able to drink the blood of a vampire with pure blood who were the descendants of the very first vampires, theyʼd be able to become vampires themselves.

Not only will they be able to gain the powers that a vampire possessed but theyʼll also be able to become part of the Oberoi's  vampire family. They were the descendants of the first vampires ever known to mankind and the strongest of their kind.

And out of all the pure blood vampires, Omkara Singh Oberoi was considered the most powerful and strongest one. This reason alone is why everyoneʼs so desperate to make sure that their daughters were chosen by Omkara .

All because they can become part of the Oberoi's  Family. While most of my people craved for power, the other half craved for freedom.

To escape from the constant fear that runs through their mind. I was one of those very few people. I wanted to stay away from the vampires and be able to have some sort of self-security throughout my life. But with the mix of humans and vampires in the same town? Peace was nowhere to be found in our dictionary.

"Stop, thatʼs enough maa." I murmured, to which my mother responded with a scoff. Her raven eyes pierced into my amber orbs and I returned the glare.

"Itʼs just some powder," she brushed some more before I turned my face away.

"God, why do you have to be so persistent Gauri !" she snapped, slamming the powder on the dressing table before tucking some strands of her wavy hair behind her ears.

"I told you that I do not want to dress up in a way that would catch anyoneʼs attention." I shot back, tears already welling in my eyes as I turned to face my mother.

"Do you realize just how important this ceremony is? The Oberoi's  is finally willing to take a partner that fits to his taste, and you could be one of them." she huffed, pacing back and forth, an old habit she used to do when she was either stressed or nervous.

"How many times do you want to me to repeat myself maa? I do not want to be chosen! If I had a choice, I wouldnʼt even attend this dumb-excuse-of-a- ceremony!" I snapped, standing up from my position and adjusting my sleeveless red gown that effortlessly reached all the way down to the floor.

"Yes, but make sure to wear the bracelet and necklace your father bought you." her ignorant words saddened me and I bit my bottom lip, fighting back my tears. She was supposed to be my mother, yet she wasnʼt able to understand how hard this was for me.