Chapter 2

Damn! How? How did I get chosen?

"Of all the people, why me...?" a voice repeatedly asked in my head as I took a few steps towards, fighting back the tears that were now threatening to fall.

I felt Omkara's burning holes through my face as I walked past him but I kept my gaze on the ground, regretting every step I took before standing in front of the crowd, next to the four girls.

Whisperings and clappingʼs filled the room as everyone congratulated us but at this point, I became absorbed and oblivious to the passage of time.

I simply stood stiff in my position, my gaze remaining on the floor as I asked myself the same question over and over again. Why, why me? I was probably the only one who was dreading over the fact that I might get chosen, so why? Why couldnʼt it be anyone else?

"Iʼm sorry if the ceremony was rushed ladies, but as you know, Omkara is a very impatient man." I heard someoneʼs voice before everyone laughed and chuckled, not even bothering to make a comment about his outburst earlier. Itʼs like it never happened. Thereʼs never any consequences to their actions and thatʼs exactly why the vampires treat humans however they please.

"Enjoy the rest of the night." an unfamiliar voice said as I watched some people rush to the appetizer table while the rest kept congratulating the chosen girls, except me.

No, nobody wanted to throw a word of praise at me after the little stunt I pulled.

"Thank you so much!" I heard the girls gloat as they hugged and grinned at the men and ladies who kept ranting on about how lucky they were.

Normally, I would have broken down at this point, but somehow, I managed to pull myself together. I wasnʼt strong like most of these girls were and I certainly wasnʼt brave, Iʼll admit that.

However, I wasnʼt dumb or naive like most girls. I wasnʼt flattered when he chose me and I certainly will continue to feel this way.

I wasnʼt honored to be able to attend this ceremony. The only thing I felt and still feel is helpless. What if I hid in a safe place as soon as I entered, like I had planned to for the past two weeks? What if vampires didnʼt exist in the first place? What if I was stuck at one age without turning 18? Would things have turned out differently then?

Hopeless questions kept pouring into my head and I closed my eyes shut before opening them and taking a deep breath, knowing that there was no use to get worked up anymore.

Whatʼs done is done, now I have to figure out a way to escape without getting caught. I glanced at Omkara's and my eyes widened when I caught him staring at me, causing me to quickly avert my gaze back on the marble floor, my hands and body still shaking from everything that just happened.

"Iʼll never see my mother or father again-" the first thought that popped into my head made me feel worse and I bit my bottom lip, trying my very best to keep on my expressionless mask as I straightened my posture. I canʼt anger him any more than I have.

"Miss Gauri ?" an unfamiliar voice called and I looked up to face a man in his mid-20ʼs, who was now giving me the look of concern

"Why are you crying?" With these words, half the room grew silent and I stared at him in disbelief and confusion before realization hit me like waves.

I reached up my fingers to touch my cheeks and sure enough, my fingertips felt the hot and wet sensation of burning tears.

"This-this is not what it looks like..." I trailed away, quickly brushing away my tears and I could hear whisperings surfacing around the room as the intense atmosphere clouded around us even more.