Singing Birds

A few weeks ago, it was summer. The climate was humid and hot, so I had to sleep with the windows open. Typically, I sleep just fine, but one night, I couldn't. I turned and tossed hoping to rest peacefully. 

 I realized that the sound that was keeping me up was the birds singing out my window. There was a large oak tree quite near, and I could hear every chirp coming from them. 

 Eventually, I was fed up with their squawking. I leaned to the window and yelled, "Shoo! Shoo! Get away! I'm trying to go to sleep!" 

 I listened for their claws to scamper, but all I heard was pure silence shouting back.

 Soon it dawned to me- it's 2AM. What kind of bird would be chirping at that time?  

I peered into the darkness, and I wish I never did. 

 On the swaying branches of the tree, I could make out two silhouettes squatting down; they strangely resembled a human. The figures were simply perched on the branch staring at me with their beady red eyes. 

 Without a second thought, I slammed the window shut. As I did, soft snickers came out the window. 

 After that, I didn't sleep whatsoever. I went around the apartment to make sure every window was closed and every door was secured. 

Maybe I should consider renting another apartment....