Chapter 19: Violet_The Giant's Death

The ground trembled beneath my feet. I tried my best not to slip.

"Okay, Violet. You have to... Well, run for the hills," I said to myself. Taking in a deep breath, I ran up the hill. You must be thinking What a stupid idea! Well, it's the only option I have. My legs moved before I could even think. "You can do this, Violet. You're quick, fast, and sly..." I kept telling myself, even though I probably was going to die. Where is Duke and Anne? They can't let me die by a giant, can they?

"Violet, run!" I heard a voice cheering me on. It sounded like Anne, but I didn't dare turn back. I knew that monster could kill me in a heart-beat. The footsteps that were chasing me grew loud, louder, and louder, until they stopped abruptly.

What?... Why did he stop chasing me?

I turned around slowly, even though I didn't want to because I was afraid of what I might see. I was right on not looking around, but I still did.

The rain stopped, Kris was standing ten feet away from the giant, panting, Bry was crying, the giant was bleeding. A  circle was dead-center in his chest. You could see to the other side, if you wanted to. How did he die? Did Kris do that to him... How?

"Great job, Kris! You killed the giant!" Anne exclaimed, then wrapped her arms around him. He seemed more shocked than anything else. I don't blame him. I was amazed too. The giant finally tipped over on a tree, sending them both to their last breath; even when the ground trembled, no one cared. I guess we were all glad that was over.

"Not bad for a little kid," Duke taunted. Kris didn't even bother looking him in the eyes. He looked at the giant, then me. Back and forth, until he finally collapsed from exhaustion; as usual, Bry sat beside him while he laid asleep, on the muddy earth.

He managed to use his powers before I did. What did he do that saved me? I turned my head to look at Anne. She was amazed, scared, confused, and glad all at the same time. I could tell by glancing at her. She looked at me, worry plastered on her face. I was worried too. Mostly about Kris. Was the Masked Lord going to go after him now, and not me? How much soul energy did Kris use when he murdered the giant?

These thoughts retreated immediately after Anne tapped on my shoulder, and I was snapped back into reality. "Violet.. Have you been able to use your powers yet?" Anne asked, looking down at Kris, who was grunting in pain in his slumber.

I shook my head. What else was there to say? Should I have lied about it...?

"That isn't good. Why is he using his powers before you? That isn't what was told in the prophecy," she said, hands on her hips, eyes narrowed on Kris. "It must be because of Duke. Maybe putting so much pressure on him unlocked his powers.." She began pacing back in forth, not caring that if she slipped even a little, she'll fall back, and end up covered in mud. Anne suddenly jerked her head up, as if she has the brightest idea. "We're raising you guys improperly. Violet feels like she doesn't have enough leadership! Is that it? Please, tell me it is!" Anne said eagerly, she grabbed both of my shoulders, bent down so she could be level with me.

"I-I don't know," I spat out. She was right. I've been walking around, feeling like I'm worthless. Kris has all the spotlight, and I just sit back and watch. He seems to protect me too much, and I feel like I'm helpless. "I guess?"

It was quiet between us. She looked me in the eyes for a long time, then finally stood up and motioned Duke to carry Kris. Leaving me feeling worthless again.

Anne took a glanced at me for a moment, before walking up the hill. "Come on, Violet! You, my dear, have much to learn," she turned her head as she continued to walk, and smirked at me.

I smiled right back.