Chapter XII: Annabelle

I watch as Sarah browses through the Netflix "catalog", trying to find something for us to watch. I notice how she skips right through every single horror movie, afraid that I might want to watch one of those. Even though I'm a sucker for horror movies, I wouldn't feel good by forcing Sar to watch them knowing how terrified she gets. I only forced her to do so about 3 times and she was only kind of extremely cute.

    -How about that one? -I ask with a monotone voice.

    -This one? -She clicks on it and turns to me.

    -Yeah, it says gay on it. Let's watch. -I say with a soft smile.

    She smiles back and we start watching while cuddling. The title appears on the screen: "Loving Annabelle". Sounds pretty familiar. And the story seems quite familiar too: religious academy, student loves someone she's not supposed to, sex that isn't supposed to happen ends up happening and there's a lot of lesbianism. It's like a documentary on me! Time flies by as we watch and get frustrated together over that lesbian fanfic of a movie and I can almost see Sarah hiding a tear or two.

    -Are you crying? -I ask mockingly.

    -You would too if you were the one who got arrested in the end. -She chuckles.

    -Oh, so you're Simone now?

    -Pretty much, yeah. -She answers with a smile, wiping away the tears.

    -You know that's not going to happen to us, right?

    -I don't know... I mean... It actually might. -She laughs.

    -Oh, come on. -I sit up on the bed. -You can't be actually thinking this.

    -I'm sorry, but it is a very truthful possibility.

    -I don't get it... You think the FBI will just burst through the doors and arrest us, like... I don't get it. -I joke as she laughs even harder.

    -No... They'll just arrest me. -She jokes with a straight face.

    -Oh, fuck you. -I get up from the bed as she chuckles and turns the TV off.

    She gets up as well and follows me out of the bedroom. I go to the kitchen and fill two glasses with wine.

    -I'm serious. -She says with a smile. -Correct me if I'm wrong...

    -You're wrong. -I interrupt her while giving her one of the glasses.

    -Correct me if I'm wrong...

    -You're wrong. -I keep interrupting her and I lean in for a kiss.

    -Correct me if I'm wrong... -She tries not to kiss me or laugh.

    -You're wrong. -I interrupt her softly one last time as she accepts the kiss.

    We kiss gently and I walk away, going to sit on the couch.

    -Okay, correct me if I'm wrong... -She keeps going after I already sat down and all I can do is grunt as she laughs. -But, the similarities are there. -She sits down by my side. -I mean, you are an underage student who studies at a religious academy and you end up having an affair with a professional that works at the academy. What we're doing here is forbidden and wrong in many levels, so all I'm saying is: I wouldn't be surprised if we got caught and I got arrested, that's all. -She says with a smirk before taking a sip of wine.

    -You're so wrong...

    -Am I? -She teases.

    -Yes, and here's why: no one will ever find out about us. Annabelle and Simone got caught because they were stupid enough to fuck inside the damn academy. That's not going to be us because we're smarter than that.

    -Annabelle and Simone were smart too.

    -Yes, but what they did was stupid.

    -What's stopping us from making the same mistake? -She asks me as if she already knows the answer.

    -Here's the main difference between us and them: -I get up to fill my empty glass as I realize how quickly I emptied it. -they loved each other. Love makes people do stupid things. With us, it's just sex. -I lie completely, knowing that I do, in fact, love this woman.

    -Is it? -She asks with a suggestive voice and my heart starts pounding on my chest.

    -Yes. -I struggle to get a word out without stuttering.

    -Really? Why else would I risk so much, then? -She gets up and walks in my direction while I'm still pouring wine.

    -Maybe I'm just a hot piece of ass. -I joke to calm myself down and turn to her.

    -Maybe it's more... -She gets closer and closer to me.

    -Is it? -I ask as I start to believe that she might actually love me back or the exact opposite.

    -I don't know, I'm asking you. -She finally stops as our faces are inches apart.

    -No, you're not.

    -Yes, I am.

    -Stop playing mind games, Doctor. -I joke with a suggestive smile.

    -I'm not playing anything. -She answers calmly.

    -What are you doing then? -I try to remain calm as she traps me against the kitchen counter.

    -I'm asking you a question.

    -Which is?

    -Do you love me? -She says with a steady voice, almost like a whisper, staring deep into my eyes.

    -I... -I feel my whole body freezing. Should I just say no and move on with this affair, hiding my feelings, or should I ruin everything by saying yes and telling her the truth? Somehow, I'm not sure I'm actually physically able to lie to her. -I do.

    She keeps staring at me and a smile slowly appears on her face. She kisses me softly and walks away, back to the couch.

    -Aren't you going to give me some kind of feedback? -I joke nervously as I feel the tension in the air being released.

    She sits down carefully and finishes her glass with just one sip. She turns her head to me and says with a monotone voice:

    -Of course I love you, you dumb ass.