Picking up the pieces

After spending a week in hospital I was allowed to go home. It was a pretty boring week, although people still came to visit me. Himiko was the most common one. One of the nurses even told me that she never left the room for the days that I was out cold. She really is the best, I think she feels the same way too...

After that week was over I had a pleasant surprise from Volantè, he came to ask if I wanted to see his father about a prosthetic. I quickly said yes and left the house. We made our way to his home, on the bright side, it couldn't be that far away. I wore a big jacket over my shoulders cause it was getting colder now. I also wore it so no one could see my stump, wearing it over my shoulder instead of putting my arm through the sleeve. Volante's face looks incredibly down.

Volantè: You ok pal?

Y/n: it's nothing buddy, I just think it looks cool to wear a massive coat.

Volantè: Cause it makes you feel like a gunslinger?

Y/n (impersonating): It's high noon!

Volantè: Nerd.

Y/n: Shut up, it's cool!

Volantè: Yeah maybe...

Y/n: Look I need you for this, you're my guardian angel until I get back into the swing of things. So adjust your halo and strap on your wings!

Volantè just laughs at my joke but he still seems upset about something.

Y/n: Is something bothering you?

Volantè: Actually, I'm glad you asked... I feel angry for some reason...

Y/n: What do you have to be angry about?

Volantè: It's just... it feels as though criminals get away with their horrific actions. Like you, you got attacked by a criminal and lost your hand and got torn up pretty bad. What will the police do? Throw them in jail for a while before they're either bailed out or let go.

Y/n: What would you have them do?

Volantè: I... I don't know... I want criminals to suffer an equal price for their actions. I want robbers to have something stolen from them I want vandals to have something of their destroyed and...and...

Y/n: Murderers murdered?

Volantè:...

Y/n: *grabs his shoulder* I'm sorry Volantè but I can't agree with you there, as a hero in training we know the responsibility of our actions. It's not our job to be the judge, jury or executioner, that is the job of the police and government. I say this as your friend, life is hard and at times *I glance at my hand* we lose things and sometimes people are hurt, people we care about. But we have to stand up and be the bigger person and act like a hero.

Volantè: My god you don't half ramble.

We laugh at the statement before we turn into a rough looking neighbourhood.

Y/n: I don't think I've been to this part of the neighbourhood...What's it called?

Volantè: The Gallows.

Y/n: Ahh so, a nice, friendly and welcoming name.

Volantè: Relax, I'll look out for you. Besides my home is on the outskirts of town.

This place really isn't appealing, there's boarded up windows and broken doors and these homes still have lights in them. There are buildings that have been flattened and dark foreboding alleyways. Although there are plenty of thugs down alleyways none of them seems interested in me or Volantè, in fact, they seem to ignore him. Before long we reach a rather nice looking home, he leads me towards the garage door and knocks. A man stood around 5'6 wearing a jacket and goggles greets us.