four

THIRD PERSON

Steve spent the night at Tony's. He'd texted his mother and she said she didn't care, so they happily spent the evening watching films and Steve tried to teach Tony to cook. In the end, they ate pizza - although it wasn't really cooking. It was a frozen base and Pizzeria sauce with mozzarella and Steve had chorizo on his. Tony's was plain cheese. That night, Steve slept on the couch. It was a sofabed but Steve insisted that it was fine and that he could sleep on it just fine. He'd had plenty of practice sleeping on sofas.

It was about 1 in the morning when Steve finally fell asleep. Tony had given him some clothes to sleep in and got somebody to wash the clothes he was wearing that day so he could wear them for school the next. Tony lay in bed for hours. 1:30. 2 AM. 3 AM. 4 AM. He felt himself falling asleep but as soon as he became aware of it his eyes snapped open and he couldn't do anything about it. He got up at about 4:30 in the morning and went into the kitchen.

"Jarvis. Why can't I sleep?" Tony waited for a response.

"You're agitated. Speak to someone for a while and you'll be fine."

"Can I speak to you?"

"Sorry, sir, but no. It has to be a human or something similar."

"I don't wanna wake Steve..."

"He will understand." Tony sighed. It was 4:30 in the morning, he saw no point. He put on some trainers and walked into his parents quarters. He went straight to his mother's dresser.

"Where are the pills, where are the pills, where are the fucking pills..." After a few moments of silent rummaging, he found them. His mothers sleep pills. He took two from the almost full tube and walked back into his own living area. Took a glass of water. Threw them down.

"Tony?" Tony was shocked. He dropped his glass to the floor and it shattered everywhere.

"Shit," Tony groaned. "What are you doing up?" He asked Steve.

"I'm a very light sleeper. I heard you when you got up."

"Oh. Sorry."

"It's fine, don't apologise." There was silence for a few moments before Steve asked the question that had been bugging him. "Why are you awake?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"Wanna talk?"

"Fuck. Did you hear Jarvis?" Steve nodded and Tony looked down at the floor. There was a mixture of glass and water all over the floor.

"Go back to bed, let me clear this up..." muttered Tony. "You can sleep in my bed, I'll take the couch. Please," he added when he saw Steve's face. Steve shook his head.

"Throw me my shoes. I'm gonna help you clear up."

"No, you're not."

"Tony, please." Tony walked over to Steve and looked his in the eye before grinning.

"Nope." He picked Steve up and carried him into Tony's room. They were both laughing - it was the cringiest thing Tony could do and it was totally worth it. Once in Tony's room, Steve was dropped onto Tony's bed and Tony threw the duvet over him before walking out and locking the door from behind him.

"Fuck you, Tony." He could hear Steve laughing and Tony went back to clear up the glass. He was getting drowsy niow - the pills were taking their affect.

"Five more minutes... I need to be awake for five more fucking minutes," muttered Tony.  "Jarvis, unlock my bedroom door." And then he conked out.

After not long at all, Tony woke up, a cold cloth being pressed to his face and Steve above him.

"Don't sit up," muttered Steve. Tony was on the couch - he opened his mouth to speak before Steve cut him off.

"Don't say anything. Just give me five minutes and you'll be fine, okay?" Tony did as told and within a few minutes, Steve placed a band aid on Tony's head and said he could sit up.

"I'm so sorry," was the first thing he said.

"You're lucky - when my dad left, he beat me and my mom so I had to learn how to take care of us. Thank god I did, otherwise I probably woulda just called an ambulance and there's no point to that." Steve smiled.

"I couldn't sleep so I took some of my moms sleep pills - I kinda forgot and got drowsy, I was gonna go to bed but I fell asleep faster than I thought."

"Had you ever taken them before?" Asked Steve; one eyebrow was raised, he looked concerned.

"Couple times." Tony checked the time on his watch. It was 5 in the morning.

"I had to remove some fucking glass from your head, please be more careful."

"I learn from my mistakes," yawned Tony. "Wait you took glass out of my head?"

"Night, Tony." Steve walked towards the door and turned off the light.

"Steve, where the fuck are you going? Sleep in my bed, it's fine."

"I think I'm gonna sleep in the kitchen tonight."

"Steve please. I need you at least just in here. To know you're okay." But Steve shut the door. As soon as he was in the kitchen, he looked at the broken glass. He knew he shouldn't. He wanted to, but he didn't want to hurt Tony. He had a hoodie for tomorrow...

So quick thing, he next section is really sad, but if people cutting triggers you please don't read until the next chunk of bold text <3

"Fuck," muttered Steve. He walked to it and took the sharpest piece he could find. He pressed the glass to the inside of his wrist and dragged it along his wrist, making deep cuts along it.

"There goes six months being clean," he muttered, his voice breaking. He cursed under his breath but he couldn't put up with being who he was. A fatherless gay boy with literally all of the troubles in the world, what more could he want. To be happy? No, thats too far. His heart breaking with every slice, Steve let the blood trickle down onto his arm, down to his elbow. Tears mixed with the blood and it started to drip to the floor. Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip. And it kept dripping until he stemmed the flow with tissues. And then there was nothing left to do but let it heal.

If you had to skip that I'm sorry for putting it in but it's kinda vital to the storyline, you can read now :))

Tony woke up with a start.

"Jarvis, good morning," he yawned.

"Good morning sir. There is a cup of coffee awaiting your arrival in the lounge, the weather today is 93ºF and the time is 7:04 am."

"Cheers, J." Why was he lying on the couch? And then he remembered. Steve. As he walked into the kitchen, he started talking to Steve.

"Steve, you need to get up, its time to get ready. What do you want for breakfast? I have cereal, toast... I think that's it." Then he looked around.

"Jarvis, where's Steve?"

"He left earlier, you missed him by about ten minutes, sir."

"Track him, keep me updated." Tony ignored his coffee and threw on clean clothes and his schoolbag along with his shoes and earpiece and ran out of the room, grabbing his key from the front desk.