ten part 3

MORGAN'S POV

Dad and I were stood in the kitchen making pancakes. I knew cooking wasn't exactly his forte, so I decided to help out.

"Hey, Morgan! Good to see you, it's been a while." I flashed Pops a quick smile and turned back to the pancake I was cooking. Dad nudged me with his elbow.

"You can sit down. I got it from here, we're almost out of batter." He was right - another two or three crepes and we were done. I took a seat on one of the white leather barstools and had a sip of water. It was cold, almost freezing. Peter walked in and surprised me with a loud 'Hi!' that scared me so badly that I almost fell off my chair. Almost.

"Please don't do that, you scared the crap out of me..."

"I'm so sorry, don't be mad at me." He looked concerned. I shrugged and gave him a small fake smile.

"It's okay." He sat in the stool next to me. Pops was talking to Dad and everything was going great until it was time to eat. I wasn't allowed to eat much. I took a quick look at everything on the table and my insides fell cold at the sight of everything; regardless, I was given a pancake and I squirted whipped cream and sprinkled raspberries on it and rolled it up. I forced myself to eat it and felt slightly ill, so I placed my plate into the dishwasher and drank some more water. It sat in the back of my throat and I swallowed it before I made myself choke. Dad looked ever so slightly worried but continued eating.

"Honey, you don't-" I looked up just in time to see Dad move and Pops react. I think Dad kicked Pops' leg. "You don't only have to have water, there's juice in the fridge."

"I'm okay, but thanks," I replied.

"Tony, what-" Pops started in a low voice, but Dad whispered something in his ear and he stopped talking. I started to clean up; it was something I'd always been taught to do, and basic stuff shouldn't be much different here.

"I can do that, it's fine," began Dad but I shrugged.

"I'm done, you're still eating. I got it, I don't mind." He cocked his head to one side and I pretended I didn't notice. Peter had stayed quiet the whole time - I didn't know what he was thinking, but I'm glad he didn't say anything. After I cleaned up and everyone had finished eating, I thanked Dad and went straight back to my room. Didn't talk to anyone, didn't take a detour - just straight back, not disturbing anyone. I think Dad was mad at me. I don't know why. I just felt like it, I could feel it in the atmosphere. I'm good at reading a room. I had to be, to make sure I was welcome to be somewhere. Usually, I wasn't.

After maybe half an hour or so, I began to feel really sick. I didn't usually eat sweet stuff, and if I did it had to be in moderation. 

"Meeting in Meeting Room 7, Floor 82; everybody needed." The speakerphone scared the shit out of me.

"Jarvis, do I need to go to that?"

"It said everybody, your parents set up the meeting. They would have let me know if you didn't need to come." I pulled some socks on and ran to Dad's room. I knocked on the door gently.

"Two seconds!" I heard some muffled movements and Pops appeared in a plain grey t-shirt and black trousers.

"Do I need to go to that meeting? It said everyone but everyone here's an Avenger..."

"Yeah, you need to come - it's actually kind of about you. Not in a bad way, though," he added quickly, seeing the look on my face. I nodded and then Dad pulled the door the rest of the way open, sporting a black Led Zeppelin long-sleeved t-shirt and very dark blue trousers. He then grabbed a zip-up hoodie from next to him and we all left.